News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I think Mike is correct.

They're quite rare and very expensive too although the one above appears to be missing the mask if it is indeed a tank helmet. I think the last time I saw one for sale it was priced around £2500 although I have no idea if it sold and can't even remember where I saw it.

Perhaps the one above shows the rear view??

http://1914remembering.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/rare-tank-helmet-found/

Tony

Edited by Tony

Robin

This is a Cruise helmet designed for the infantry late in the the Great War by Captain Richard Cruise. Rare and valuble, found this one currently for sale http://www.rubylane.com/item/802481-843/WW1-Mark-I-Second-Pattern

Cheers Simon.

Hello Simon.

Many thanks.

That's a bit of a revelation.

Photo was from a French collector site, but seems to be the same one!

The Frenchies had no idea what it was. ;)

I have one of these helmets lying around in the garage somewhere ................... had it for donkey's years and didn't think it was worth much as it is painted blue with the word 'Police' in white paint on the front.

I always thought it was something made for police use during the riots of the 1926 General Strike.

I had no idea it is what it is ..................... i.e a WW1 experimental helmet apparently discarded by the army and picked up by the police.

The one I have came from my grandfather (now long dead), who served with the King's Own Scottish Borderers and others in WW1 (he was wounded at Arras and invalided out .............. carried the lump of Jerry shrapnel in his wrist until the day he died) and thereafter worked in the police for 40-odd years, retiring as a Divisional Commander in the late 1950s.

He was active during the General Strike, although I don't know if he actually saw riot service.

How I wish I had asked these questions when he was still alive.

I guess I was just too young to appreciate what these men had gone through in their youth.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Robin.

Edited by Robin Lumsden

• 1 month later...

Robin

As we both know British Police Forces have always been slow in equipping Officers with adequate protective clothing, remember seeing dustbin lids, short wooden truncheons and tall helmets in the late 70s early 80s in riot situations! I would imagine things were much the same in 1926, perhaps your Grandfather found his old helmet and thought 'that would be useful'!

Even if military style helmets were officially issued I doubt it would have been the rare 'Cruise' helmet.

Simon

Simon.

Agreed ..................... I remember the '70s and '80's well!

I was petrol-bombed (in my Panda!) during the 1984 strike and the bosses didn't bat an eyelid!

Changed days.

There's no doubt ................. this thing's a WW1 military 'Cruise' with Police livery.

Robin

Would be fascinating to find out if these were indeed official issue to Police at this time however I wouldn't know where to start with Scottish Police research.

Do you think re-posting this thread in the Police section would help!

Regards Simon.