News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RMLE for Veteran...

Chris Boonzaier

Hello Chris and Bernhard

The combat uniform worn by this figure is reasonnably accurate. Except for a few mistakes :

The white kepi was, of course, strictly out. Only worn on parade with the blue wollen belt. Never with combat gear (a U.S.Army kzki forage cap was worn as a service cap).

A "caporal chef" (white kepi with golden band would° have worn a regulation Legion grenade badge with two green and a golden chevrons for rank.

The heavy combat helmet NEVER would have been painted RMLE !!! German sharpshooters were very good and needed no encouragement of the kind.

I cannot remember exactly when the French 1st Army RHIN & DANUBE badges were first issued. But I suspect they were after the RMLE had been reverted to 3rd Foreign Legion infantry Regiment (3e REI) on July 4th 1945. A RMLE legionnaire would therefore not have worh it with his combat gear during the Liberation of France and German campaigns from October 1944 through May 1945;

Regards

Paul