News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Legionnaire of the RMLE

Chris Boonzaier

Hi Chris

If I am right to assume that this figure is made to recall uniforms worn by men of the Regiment de Marche de la Legion Etrangere (R.M.L.E) during the French Liberation and Germany campaigns in 1944/1945, a few points might be worth mentionning.

The first is that the overall combat equipment is quite accurate. Basic U.S. Army uniforms were in use as shown. The rifle is correct as are the additionnal equipments. Some men had that rifle (not the Garrant M1). I personnally had a Thompson submachinegun.

A small number of points might, nevertheless, be made.

This legionnaire is equipped for combat with the heavy helmet. In such a case he would NEVER have worn a brigadier-chef's white kepi. In those days, it was only worn on parades, with one's weapon but not with the full combat equipment. We wore a U.S. Army kaki field cap (calot, in French).

If this was a brigadier-chef, he would have worn the Legion grenade on this sleeve with the appropriate two green chevrons under a gold one;

A heavy combat helmet would NEVER have been painted with R.M.L.E. The Germans had very efficient sharpshooters who needed no encouragement of the sort.

The RHIN & DANUBE badge was a later adjunct to the uniform. I am not clear as to when it was issued, but I would think some time in the summer of 1945. One should remember that the R.M.L.E. was dissolved on July 5, 1945, the regiment becoming the 3re Foreign Legion Infantrly Regiment. (3e R.E.I.) which still exists and wears the U.S. Presidential Unit badge we earned.

In other words, we probably never wore the RHIN & DANUBE badge while with the R.M.L.E.

This being said, a very well made figure. I understand how difficult it can be to be accurate after such a long time. My own recollections might also be dimmed by age....

Hope this helps..