News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Memorial Plaque

They don't show up in the link so I've pasted them in below.

There are 8 men in total with the name Robert Adamson who were killed, four of them show on the CWGC site as R. Adamson so I cross referenced them with Soldiers Died on ancestry.

ADAMSON, ROBERT Lance Corporal S/43262 23/03/1918 21 Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders United Kingdom Bay 9. ARRAS MEMORIAL

ADAMSON, ROBERT Lance Corporal 10158 01/07/1916 West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) United Kingdom Pier and Face 2 A 2 C and 2 D. THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

ADAMSON, ROBERT Private 40982 04/10/1918 36 Royal Scots Fusiliers United Kingdom Panel 6. VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL

ADAMSON, ROBERT Private 32337 10/09/1916 30 The King's (Liverpool Regiment) United Kingdom II. A. 19. BOIS-GUILLAUME COMMUNAL

This one is also a Robert:

ADAMSON, R Private 1924 03/01/1916 23 Northumberland Fusiliers United Kingdom IX. D. 70.

CITE BONJEAN MILITARY CEMETERY, ARMENTIERES

Name: Robert Adamson

Birth Place: Amble, Northumberland

Death Date: 3 Jan 1916

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Alnwick, Northumberland

Regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers

Battalion: 1/7th Battalion (Territorials)

Number: 1924

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

And this one and he won the DCM:

ADAMSON, R Company Serjeant Major 200024 09/04/1918 27 King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) United Kingdom IV. C. 1. BROWN'S ROAD MILITARY CEMETERY, FESTUBERT

Birth Place: St. John's, Barrow-in-furness

Death Date: 9 Apr 1918

Enlistment Location: Barrow-in-furness

Regiment: King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)

Battalion: 1/4th Battalion

Number: 200024

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Comments: D.C.M.

And this one:

ADAMSON, R Corporal 10098 17/10/1916 27 East Lancashire Regiment United Kingdom II. E. 3. DARTMOOR CEMETERY, BECORDEL-BECOURT

Birth Place: South Shields, Durham

Death Date: 17 Oct 1916

Enlistment Location: South Shields

Regiment: East Lancashire Regiment

Battalion: 2nd Battalion

Number: 10098

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

And the last one I've found is:

ADAMSON, R Private 20/1207 01/08/1918 Northumberland Fusiliers United Kingdom 1859. RETHEL FRENCH NATIONAL CEMETERY

Birth Place: Gateshead-on-tyne

Death Date: 1 Aug 1918

Enlistment Location: Newcastle-on-tyne

Regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers

Battalion: 14th Battalion

Number: 20/1207

Type of Casualty: Died

I think the manufacture of plaques moved from Acton to Woolwich Arsenal in about 1920, I don't know how many were made at Acton but the vast majority were manufactured in Woolwich so most will have the WA stamp although it can sometimes be very faint.

Tony

Edited by Tony

If you don't have access to ancestry I can look up details of the other four men for you.

The plaque may be very desirable to the person who has the DCM medal group as well as the first day Somme casualty's medal group, that's if they don't already have a plaque named to Robert Adamson.

Tony

I only get the blank default search page when I click on the link.

It's sad that the name has eight possibles. After a quick look online, none of the above appear to have service records that survived the bombing of WWII.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I have a ceramic memorial plaque for a Wm. Williams of the South Wales Borderers and there are more than 20 possibles for him, just from the regiment, never mind for the name. Sadly I will never know for whom it was meant to commemorate. I'll start a thread showing it as I do not wish to take over this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I always remember these death pennies from the 80's, I never got a set as they were quite common then (and I was distracted by the dark side). I even remember there were some in the cemetery on military headstones at the top of Mansfield Road in Nottingham (top end of where the Goose Fair is). I noticed since then they have gone presumably stolen for scrap? Good luck with your research I hope you can narrow it down!

Jock :)