News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General Skuba's ID-booklet from 1950

Gentlemen,

11 years ago I purchased in Vienna for about USD 150,- the leatherbound military ID-booklet of Major-General Maksim K. Skuba from the year 1950.

During spring 1942 - Charkov - he had been - in the rank of a Lt. Colonel - commander of the famous "6th Guards Tank Brigade" (KV-1 & T 34). Skuba is mentioned in that position in the memoirs of General Beloborodov, "Forever in Battle".

The "6th Guards Tank Brigade" played a role in the battle of Stalingrad, but at that time Colonel Krichman was the commanding officer.

Skuba is registered at that danish WW II Generals website, but with no further informations.

If we look at the attached photograph (year 1950 or before), we see a well decorated Tank-General with a Lenin + 4 Red Banners. The Lenin might be not a long service award (25 years in service), because the guy looks a little bit too young for me. But if we look to the second row, the first ribbon might be XX years RKKA (or a Medal for Valour ?). What I miss, is the medal Merit in Combat for 10 years in service, but when the photograph was shot just after the war, then it might be possible, that he didn't serve the full 10 years already (he really looks pretty young for a general). We can also make out the ribbons of the Defense Moscow Medal, Victory over Germany and one Capture Medal. There is no Defense Stalingrad Medal, because at Stalingrad Colonel Krichman took over the command of the "6th Guards Tank Brigade".

Gentlemen, do you have any further informations about General Skuba?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Best regards from Vienna

Christian Zulus

[attachmentid=56836]

• 2 weeks later...

General Skuba's position in the Soviet Army in 1950

Thanks to Andrew (member: MONDVOR) - he translated Skuba's position in his ID-booklet page 4 & 5 - here is the Maj.-Gen. position in the Soviet Army in 1950:

"The commander of armored and mechanized troops of the 4th Army"

The 4th Army was established in august 1939, took part at the invasion of Poland 1939, major parts of the 4th Army had been destroyed at the battle for Minsk in summer 1941, then fighting at the Wolochov-Front, dissolved in november 1943 and re-established in january 1944. From that time till august 1945 the 4th army was deployed in the Iran (due to the Soviet-Iran treaty of 1921). Till some time over the end of the "Soviet Empire" the 4th Army was deployed in Azerbaijan (bordering to Iran), where the Russian withdrew the 4th Army in may 1993.

Commanders of the 4th Army had been: V. A. Chuikov (1939), A. A. Korobkov, L. M. Sandalov, W. F. Jakovlev, K. A. Merezkov (1941), P. A. Ivanov, P. I. Ljapin, N. I. Gussev and I. G. Sovjetnikov (list ends with the year 1986).

Gentlemen, does anyone have an idea, what the market value of Gen. Skuba's leatherbound ID-booklet might be?

Best regards

Christian Zulus

Christian,

The entry of Skuba on my site is most likely a mistake as I have been unable to verify that he became a general during the war (I will remove him). However I am able to offer some small pieces of information:

In 1941 he commanded the 125th Tank Regiment of the 112th Tank Division. He commanded the 6th Guards Tank Brigade 16th April 1942 to 22nd February 1943, and was promoted Colonel 4th July 1942. He then commanded 23rd Guards Tank Brigade 22nd February 1943 to 15th March 1943.

Kind Regards

Steen Ammentorp

The Generals of World War II

Gentlemen, does anyone have an idea, what the market value of Gen. Skuba's leatherbound ID-booklet might be?

My opinion is that it's worth about what you paid for it. I've sold several of these over the years (almost all to HSU generals though) and I've never gotten more than $100 for one. I bought one last year for a group that I owned (I had his other documents) and I paid $65 for it.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Dear Dave,

I think, that I have paid the double price for Skuba's ID-booklet :( .

Best regards

Christian

My opinion is that it's worth about what you paid for it. I've sold several of these over the years (almost all to HSU generals though) and I've never gotten more than $100 for one. I bought one last year for a group that I owned (I had his other documents) and I paid $65 for it.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Deer Steen,

many thanks for your commentaries :beer: .

If it is correct, that Skuba had been the commander of the famous 6th Guards Tank Brigade during the battle for Stalingrad, then his orders - 1x Lenin + 4x ORB - would make sense.

I assume, that Skuba was promoted to the position of a commander of the tank and mechanized forces of the 4th Army DURING WW II. Such a position includes the rank of of a Major General.

As you see in the history of the 4th Army, it was deployed in Iran - yes, a whole Soviet Army there (!) - and the function there, had been of great importance.

I think, that comrade Skuba got his position in the 4th Army in spring/summer 1943 and promoted to Major General, due to his achievements during the battle for Stalingrad.

Skuba was not a Colonel commanding a whole Soviet Army (2 cases in history) ;) .

Best regards

Christian

Christian,

The entry of Skuba on my site is most likely a mistake as I have been unable to verify that he became a general during the war (I will remove him). However I am able to offer some small pieces of information:

In 1941 he commanded the 125th Tank Regiment of the 112th Tank Division. He commanded the 6th Guards Tank Brigade 16th April 1942 to 22nd February 1943, and was promoted Colonel 4th July 1942. He then commanded 23rd Guards Tank Brigade 22nd February 1943 to 15th March 1943.

Kind Regards

Steen Ammentorp

The Generals of World War II