News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Involvement in Chad

Rich

Hello (first post, btw!)

Just wondering with what duties French forces stationed in Chad are generally employed, especially with regard to why they continued to receive the Overseas Medal and Bar for this service well into the 1990s (if not to this very day).

I ask as I have a couple of diplomas to men of 1REC; one dated from 1981 and one from the 1990s.

Any advice appreciated.

Hello (first post, btw!)

Just wondering with what duties French forces stationed in Chad are generally employed, especially with regard to why they continued to receive the Overseas Medal and Bar for this service well into the 1990s (if not to this very day).

I ask as I have a couple of diplomas to men of 1REC; one dated from 1981 and one from the 1990s.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi,

Mine was from 91-92.

The Overseas medal was still being awarded in Tchad at the time because Operation Epervier was still going on. The forces there are mainly "presence" forces and much time is spent "on safari" along the borders.

It is not really a combat situation, but is still operational, compared to Central africa which was also force of presence, but not an opeation so there was no bar to the overseas medal.

Operation baumier in Zaire was very operational, but no bar was issued.

Its a complictaed maze...