News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Captain Yegor Yefimovich Mosin

This is a story of a simple little Red Star. No, not a Christmas story, but a story of research.

Years ago, way back in 1996, when I was beginning my flirtation with Soviet ODM, I acquired a single Red Star (Type 2), #3553848, for a whopping $17.00. This was acquired as a "type collection" item, no more, no less.

Some time later, as I became more aware of the research possibilities and, indeed, of the duty I had to have research conducted (even on what would likely be "just" another long-service Red Star), a request for research went out. Yes, financially stupid. To spend that much for research on a cheap little Red Star?! :speechless1:

Yes. ;)

While perhaps not earth-shaking or "revolutionary" (no pun intended): Captain Yegor Yefimovich Mosin:

The remainder of the stack of records make clear:

This Red Star awarded 30 December 1956 for long service to Captain Yegor Yefimovich Mosin, Chief of the Officer's Club, Central Office of the 6th Railway Brigade Administration, 9th Railway Corps. Born 25 December 1918, Volkova Slobodka village, Mikhailovsky district, Kursk region, peasant, warehouse worker. Entered military 28 October 1939, later became commissar [zampolit] and spent his career thus. Fought in Finnish War (25 Jan 1940-13 March 1940) and in Great Patriotic war (Southern Front, 22 June 1941-31 June 1942, wounded at Sinelnikovo [major railway junction] 8 January 1942). Party member since February 1943. Transferred to reserve 23 January 1959.

Full awards:

- Red Star (this one)

- Military Merit Medal (1950)

- Victory Over Germany (1945)

- XXX Anniversary Armed Forces (1948)

- 40th Anniversary Armed Forces (1957)

- And, perhaps, a second MilitaryMerit Medal?

Much more information in the file, which can be posted as needed.

His photo, unfortunately cropped in xeroxing:

Well said, Ed!!! It's NOT the medal...It's the Man or Woman and their actions behind the Medal.

Well the action behind this order here is ... long service.

I agree with you guys, but for me long service medals are too expensive for me to research! :unsure:

Guest Rick Research

:speechless1: You can bet that was ONE officer's canteen bar where nobody failed to pay up their tabs! :speechless1:

Looks more like a BOUNCER than a "club manager!" :speechless1:

That's a very interesting oddball unit-- what else is in his service record?

Don't be too quick to dismiss "mere" long service awards because officers' mess managers got them...

BUT so did HSU fighter aces etc etc etc.

You never know until the results come back.