News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The result of today's fleamarket - PLM question

Today was the giant fleamarket in Munich on the place where the Oktoberfest is being celebrated.

I was on my feet 7 hours and have not seen all. But it was a perfect day.

Here is what I got today (only 1 book is missing) :

ausbeute1.jpg

Some photos in more details:

Pfarrer Theophil Witzel, Feldgeistlicher der 22. Inf.Div.

pfarrer1wk-1.jpg

Back with dedication:

pfarrer1wk-1a.jpg

Bavarian infantry Leib-Regiment ( Kgl. bayer. Inf.-Leibregiment )

leiber1.jpg

One with the Gibraltar cuff-title:

kab-gibraltar1.jpg

Death-card of a Leiber

sb-leiber.jpg

And a lot of other photos and postcards.

I could need some help with the PLM-winner, his right name and more infos.

Robert

Wonderful photos Robert. Congratulations!

Your CdV of from M?nchen of the Einj?hrig Freiwilliger is not from the Inf.Leib Regiment. The shoulder strap shows a small crown with a royal monogram beneath. The Leibers only had a crown. Also, there are no Litzen on the collars and cuffs as a Leiber would have had. I suspect he is from the 1., 2. or 3. I.R., all of which wore a monogram. A close-up of the shoulder strap might solve the mystery.

Chip

Guest Rick Research

I think when "your father" sent his child (teenager?) a photo of nhimself wearing a mourning band on his sleeve and saying "be a real German" in February 1919...

there must have been something quite interesting going on! The later note identifies him as "father in law."

I'm surprised to see Father Witzel in the overwhelmingly Protestant 22nd Division, XI Corps!

Good haul as always! :cheers:

I don't believe that the religious composition of the divisions had anything to do with the assignment of Milit?rgeistlichen. For the Prussians, at least, there was a standard number of Catholic and Protestant clergy assigned. The numbers of Catholic vs Protestant clergy remained roughly equal throughout the war, even in the Bavarian army, which had, by war's end, 225 Catholic priests and 280 Protestant clergy. The Jewish troops had only 30 Rabbis by 1918, but then they contributed only about 1% of the army's total.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Thanks for the infos about von Knoch, so I did read the name right.

Chip, You are of course right, the CDV is not showing a real Leiber. Sometimes I think all crowns are Leibers. Anyway it's a nice shot.

May I post some more questions ?

After examining most of the stuff I got yesterday, I found some more photos that make me wonder.

First is this one:

ari1a.jpg

More details:

ari1.jpg

And the back:

ari1b.jpg

Aren't these french artillery troops ? The german writing says that they are in the barracks at St.Mihiel, well. But the postcard was printed by a german publisher in Dresden. A pre-war postcard, written by a german soldier during the war.

Together with the postcard above came this portrait:

soldat1.jpg

What a strange cap. It looks like a button on the collar has been removed.

Is he german ?

There is a group of more artillery photos.

One is this:

1wk-ari4.jpg

Quite interesting is the caption on the back:

1wk-ari1a.jpg

" Hidden 24cm Long barrel gun from "Panzerkreuzer Prinz Heinrich" , may 1917 "

What I noticed is the soldier in the leather jacket......

Last one is this one:

1wk-ari6.jpg

Also from the lot of artillery photos.

1wk-ari6a.jpg

On which occasions did the german troops wear goggles ? He is not a pilot, maybe a motorcyclist ?

I hope I do not bore You with my questions.

Kind regards

Robert

Edited by Robert Noss

Robert,

Goggles could be worn by any soldier, depending on their duties. For instance, infantry that are trained for mountainous regions were often issued with Sonnenbrille. The goggles in your photo do not appeare to be tinted, so they are probably just wind goggles. I am not sure what type of unit this man would have been in, though I suspect the visored cap would indicate that he is not in a front line unit.

Chip

• 4 weeks later...

Hallo Gents :cheers:

please excuse what might sound like a stupid question with regards the top picture in Post :blush:

Now the PLM-winner Maximilian von Knoch ???

Is the addition of crown and swords to the EK Ribbon an unofficial one?

or does it signify some other Hohenzollen award?? :unsure:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Hello Kevin:

Not a stupid question at all. Although I have not researched the statutes regarding this, recipients of the Prussian Hohenzollern House Order with swords always wore a small device with crown and swords on the ribbon to distinguish it from the EKII.

Isn't it odd how the EKII which became such a VERY COMMON award relatively early in the war outranked the HHO in importance!. Of course this precedence was based upon tradition and the statutes regarding this which were instituted when the EK really did mean something more. Of course too, early on, the EK was actually considered an Order (although no nobility, titles, etc. followed).

Best regards,

"SPM"