News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medalja "Mars-Broska", Russian, 12.06.1999

Medalja "Mars-Broska" - Russian "Bosnia-Kosovo"-Medal, 12.06.1999

Gentlemen,

does anyone have informations in English and/or scans about that extraordinary Russian Medal, which was given for the raid to the airport of Pristina at the 12th of june 1999 :unsure: ?

That action might have developed into a severe military confrontation between NATO vs. Russia, if Gen. Walker wouldn't have refused the order from Gen. Clark, who had been kicked out of the US-Army afterwards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Clark . Gen. Mike Walker told to Gen. Wesley Clark on phone: "I'm not going to start the Third World War for you." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Jackson

The medal had been issued by the "Russian Ministery of Defence" in 2 classes ( :unsure: ?) and medal has an engraved s/n. at the rv.

That's a link to an article about that medal in Srpski:

http://www.snd.org.yu/dinar/28/07.faleristika.pdf (please scroll down to the article!)

Is it possible to buy such a medal + document somewhere :love: ?

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Hi Christian,

Just have to ask... :beer:

This medal has been instituted on 11 February 2000, by "Prikaz" #75 of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation.

There are 2 classes, and apparently 2 types.

Here is a small text in Russian.

This texte, and the pics attached, are from the book :

Medals of the Ministries and Departments of the Russian Federation - By Ilya Kuzmichev and Alexandr Trifon, published in 2006 by Bratishka Editions (Moscow). 240 pages, 150 copies.

See my thread about this book, here :

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13395&hl=

Cheers.

Ch.

Pic : Medals of the Ministries and Departments of the Russian Federation - By Ilya Kuzmichev and Alexandr Trifon - Pages 20-21.

Dear Christophe,

many thanks for the scans & infos :cheers: .

The medal seems to be painted and not enameled :unsure: ?

Christian

BTW: Medal has to be rare, because there had been only a few hundred soldiers involved into the raid to Pristina. So I think, that the mint manufactured not more than 1.000 pieces :unsure: ?

• 2 months later...

Hi Christian,

Last week in Moscow, I have bought these two medals (un-numbered) with docs (unissued but with official stamps).

The medals are painted.

Here is a first pic. I'll post better ones later.

Cheers.

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

Dear Christophe,

congratulations :cheers: .

It's not possible to get that medal in Belgrade :( .

Do they have more of them in Moscow or do you want to sell one of the two to me :love: .

Christian

Hi Christian,

Last week in Moscow, I have bought these two medals (un-numbered) with docs (unissued but with official stamps).

The medals are painted.

Here is a first pic. I'll post better ones later.

Cheers.

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

• 1 month later...

Certainly an un-numbered one, as it's SN is not precised...

Ch.

Dear Christophe,

you also got unnumbered ones in Moscow.

You think, that USD 200,- is a fair price for such a medal :unsure: ?

What might be the price for a numbered one + matching document :unsure: ?

Christian

Dear Christophe,

you also got unnumbered ones in Moscow.

You think, that USD 200,- is a fair price for such a medal :unsure: ?

What might be the price for a numbered one + matching document :unsure: ?

Christian

Christian,

I paid my two medals (with the two docs) 2300 RR in total, that means ?35.00 each!!!

I think USD 200 is far too much, but the price is always dictated by the money each of us is ready to give for it; according to our own rarity or need criteria...

Cheers.

Ch.

I recently found one of these in Hungary #184 for about $200. I passed as the seller deals in the low to mid range fakes of Soviet ODMs. It could have been an original - but there is no way to be sure that he didnt buy a 35 euro medal and hammer the serial number in himslef... :unsure:

Medalja "Mars-Broska" - Russian "Bosnia-Kosovo"-Medal, 12.06.1999

Gentlemen,

does anyone have informations in English and/or scans about that extraordinary Russian Medal, which was given for the raid to the airport of Pristina at the 12th of june 1999 :unsure: ?

That action might have developed into a severe military confrontation between NATO vs. Russia, if Gen. Walker wouldn't have refused the order from Gen. Clark, who had been kicked out of the US-Army afterwards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Clark . Gen. Mike Walker told to Gen. Wesley Clark on phone: "I'm not going to start the Third World War for you." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Jackson

The medal had been issued by the "Russian Ministery of Defence" in 2 classes ( :unsure: ?) and medal has an engraved s/n. at the rv.

That's a link to an article about that medal in Srpski:

http://www.snd.org.yu/dinar/28/07.faleristika.pdf (please scroll down to the article!)

Is it possible to buy such a medal + document somewhere :love: ?

Christian

One of the types of that medal is offered at the Singidunum, that's the following item:

http://www.singidunum-online.com/shope/pro...productsID=5749

Ranko

One of the types of that medal is offered at the Singidunum, that's the following item:

http://www.singidunum-online.com/shope/pro...productsID=5749

Ranko

Dear Ranko,

please could you post a scan of your medal (av. & rv.) here at GMIC :unsure::love: ?

Is it with - or without - a s/n. :unsure: ?

Many thanks :cheers: .

Christian

BTW: I guess, "Mars-Broska" is one of the most important medals dealing with YU-History.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

Sorry for not seeing this sooner; the Pristina 'dash' is close to my heart, so I own two examples of this medal, numbered, and of the 2nd type (assuming I interpreted the earlier posts correctly; I was unaware til now that there were two types).

I'll try and take a few scans soon to post for your reference, but to add to what's already been stated, and as I best understand, the silver version was for the troops that actually took the airfield, while the gold version was for the support and logistics troops that later followed-on and supplied the aforementioned from their base in Tuzla (Bosnia).

All of the troops originated from the Russian SFOR regiment, which amounted to about 1,000-1,500 personnel if I recall correctly. Yet, of those, only about 200 (a single company) were actually broken off for the Pristina dash, so subsequently, roughly only the first 200 silver medals were awarded, though I know slightly more were produced and numbered (quite how many, I'm not sure, but probably less than a 1000).

Unfortunately, I don't know how many gold 'support' medals were awarded, though their awarded numbers were generally much higher due to the fact that the re-supply convoys from Bosnia were continuous, with different personnel from the unit rotating-in and participating in each subsequent trip. (I had a chance to purchase one of these, but passed on it due to available funds).

My examples are numbers '095' and '278' in silver. Although 095 should belong to a named individual, I unfortunately don't have it's document; I have the document for 278, but it's empty since this number was above the total for the 'assault' contingent, and is thus one of the 'extras'. (generally, taking into account the size of the regiment's subordinate companies, there should have been between 220-250 actually awarded to individuals.)

Hunyadi: if #184 is still out there, I'd take a second look at it before passing on it totally! :cheers:

More to come,

Gaffken

• 3 weeks later...