News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lt-Colonel Mikhail Avetikovich Karapetyan

Lest anyone get their "knickers all in a bunch", I sent this off to Alexei ("Nota Bene") for a look-over before posting in public. I know (and others know, and bear the scars) how nasty these "eggs" can get.

Alexei writes:

The four OGPU, NKGB of Armenia, Central Committee of the Communist Party of Armenia documents are genuine and without any modifications.

The badge has been taken apart for repairs, rivets are messed up, but all parts are genuine and belong to each other; the screwpost is original, but the thread was most likely re-done; the screwplate is original, but also has evidence of repair. The enamel has damage, but no repairs.

The award document for the badge is a rare official MVD replacement certificate for an earlier NKVD Gramota, which is cool.

A very nice set, I love it!

OK??

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Not a "document", but a document.

There is some doubt over what this is. A kindjal hilt (?) or pistol hilt/receiver (?) - ???? Rick translates:

"Glory to Chekhist Comr. Karapetyan for 12th year of the GPU Detachment of UnionTrans 20.12.32."

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Inside.

Rick's comments:

. . .from NKGB (the actual "SS" of State Security) of the Armenian SSR, ID issued 5.6.45 good until end of year-- as Lieutenant Colonel (he was Senior Lt in the 2 1930s above) of State Security, commanding Leningradsky "GO" (? Security District ??) of the Armenian SSR.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Inside (2)

Rick-commentary:

. . . the egg actually issued from MVD of the USSR, though the entry says he was awarded it on 17.3.45 for "successful fulfilment of assignments" ( vague = :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:) but it was actually ISSUED to him 28.2.59 by the Deputy Minister of the MVD of the USSR.

Inside (2)

Rick says:

. . . his ID as a member of the Central Committee of the Communist Party "of Armenia." Wasn't aware there was a pretense of NATIONAL Communist parties.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Obviously (look at the photos!) other stuff is missing, but a group I am happy to have as a guest.

Interesting how his bright (1931) eyes darken over time . . . .

Any and all wisdom is welcomed, as always. :beer:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

I still think the 1932 plaque is off a Cossack saber hilt or Kindjal type weapon. Post the reverse side, please, and exact measurements.

It would fit no pistol or revolver that I can think of.

I still think the 1932 plaque is off a Cossack saber hilt or Kindjal type weapon. Post the reverse side, please, and exact measurements.

It would fit no pistol or revolver that I can think of.

Shall do so when the group is back in hand, Rick.

Shall also add closeups of the pictures where is is wearing ribbons and (partial) medals.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

That could be--that was a very popular gift weapon.

But I think the large hole is where the wrist strap went through a saber hilt rather than a screw into the working mechanism of an automatic. Exact size/flat or curve will be important-- and how it attaches on back. It looks like there are bedn over wires which also wouldn't work bored into a hand gun receiver.

Have just received the following summary of a fun life:

Born Darbaz, Armenia 14 December 1904.

Joined Armenian Cheka in 1920.

In North Caucasus Railway OGPU in January 1931.

Allowed free train travel.

Awarded pistol for 12th anniversary of chekist service on Chekist day 20 December 1932.

Working at the Leninakan office of the OGPU in 1933.

An NKVD Major with the 6th Armenian NKVD Border Guards District in July 1941 (likely unit commander).

Deputy of the Armenian Communist Party's Central Committee in December 1941.

Issued NKVD Distinguished Employee badge by NKGB decree on 17 March 1945.

Lieutenant-Colonel of the Armenian NKGB in Leninakan in July 1945.

Served under diplomatic cover in Soviet Embassies in Beirut and Tehran, 1946-1947.

Deputy of the Armenian Supreme Soviet in 1947.

Deputy of the Armenian Communist Party's Central Committee in 1947.

Colonel in the MGB, head of the Leninakan, Armenia MGB, 1950.

Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs (MVD) of Armenia, 1951-1952.

Director of Jail #4, Armenia. 1953. [Who did he anger to get that demotion?]

Retired, with rank of KGB Colonel, after 30 years state security service, 1957. [Plus 7 in MVD.]

Awarded new MVD document for NKVD badge on 23 February 1959.

Guest Rick Research

Director of Jail.... 1953. :rolleyes:

Well, at least he wasn't an INMATE. :ninja:

Allllllllll kinds of payback once the Vozhd had died. :unsure:

Very interesting indeed. :beer: