News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This gus was promoted to Lt d. Res. in january 1915 and told to get a sword. he could not find one so his CO found one for him and gave it to him.

According to his diary it was not an infantry one but a J?ger z. Pferd one.

This photo is 6 months later... I am not sure it is the same sword, but I cannot ID the type.... and ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

The sword in the left picture looks to be a standard Cuirassier Officer's pallach.

The degen pictured in the right photo is an Model 89 degen with an optional straight side folding guard and the earlier nickeled scabbard with the double hanger rings still intact.

By 1915 the degen on the right would have been brought up to regulation specs by having the lower scabbard ring removed and the scabbard painted black. These regs were instituted in 1906 for the blackening of the scabbard and in 1910 for the lower ring removal.

Given this...IMO the photo on the right is much earlier than 1915 or the degen pictured may have been a studio prop.

Hope this helps some.

Tony

Edited by Tony J

Hi,

From what I can see the photo on the left is early 1915, just after his commission (explaining the cav sword, thanks for confirning that). The one on the right is Mid 1915. Could very well be a prop from a photo studio as you say.

Do you have a clear pic of a Cuirassier Officer's pallach?

Thanks

Chris