News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Moscow Taganskii Nuclear Bunker

Last week-end, when in Moscow, I went from -65 meters deep to 59th floor high...

I had the opportunity to visit the Taganskii Bunker (-65 meters) and relax in the new restaurant on top of the 59th floor at "Moscow City".

The Taganskii Bunker, only recently opened to the public, is the former Nuclear Soviet secret Command Post, established in 1956 by Kruschev. It is here that the Soviet leaders established their command post, in case of nuclear confrontation (war...) with the West. This bunker is 65 meters (200 feet) deep under the ground level. It is formed of 4 blocks connected between themselves, and with the Metro. It has been in use until 1991... It is only a few years ago that some work has been done there, and now it is possible to visit it...

My pics are not so good, but you will get the feeling being there. Enjoy the visit!!! :jumping::jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

Guest Rick Research

Was there anything that indicated how large the permanent guard staff had to have been?

Imagine having an entire "career," year after year after year... guarding an empty building that nobody could talk about!

Same here-- and anywhere else of course.

One of my cousins spent his entire military career in the Ordnance Corps guarding underground stored nukes. Retired as a Lieutenant Colonel and became an ordained Minister. "You tend to believe in God after all that," he told me!

Good question, Rick !! :rolleyes:

I have to say the visit has been made in Russian. I have a friend with me for translation, but not expert in our field... :rolleyes:

It is interesting to notice that no picture has ever been taken in the bunker for security reason during all the Soviet era (they said). I don't believe this at 100% as they show a small film at the beginning where you can see a "shadow" of soldier walking in one of the corridors (I'll show you later...). I hope someone one day will be able to find these pics, if they ever existed... What is certain is that the configuration of the romms and their equipment was indeed severely controlled, with no pic allowed...

About the staff. As far as I have understood, this building was not (totally) empty and in use until 1991. How many staff inside ? I don't know...

Cheers.

Ch.

• 2 weeks later...