News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BOER WAR CHOCOLATE TIN

Mervyn Mitton

All mine's got left in it is a little mess of powdery chocolate.

Genuine Anglo -Boer War chocolate I suppose, pity the tns been rattled around a bit in the past or t'd still be a nice whole bar complete with wrapper. From what little prying I've just done I can't see any wrapper markings.

Edited by leigh kitchen

When these come-up at auction, they always put NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION - I can see why now ! A tin , in good condition - with choc. can be worth ?100.

on the subject of tins still looking for a WWI Princess Mary's tin as given to Indian units and containing chupatti flour. I doubt if very many have survived.

Paul

Hi Mervyn,

I am back in Khartoum after a few days in the bush. The WW1 tins appear to be the same although I have seen a silver plated ww1 tin in Johannesburg. The Boer War tins differ as I have 2 sizes from different manufacturers in my collection. In my one tin from the Boer War,there is also a small 1900 calendar. Strangely enough, there is also a 1914 calendar that came with one of the ww1 tins in my collection.

Nice to see "full" WWI tin. I've never picked up a WWI version, I should have. I know that there are small variations depending on manufacturer & that there are fakes, but not much else about them.

It appears that some recipients were very proud of the WWI tins, would imagine that the silver plated one was plated by such a person.

My Anglo - Boer War tin measures 6 1/4" x 3 1/4" x 1".

If you have'nt seen them, check out these threads on Boer War, WWI & WWII Xmas tins:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5674&hl=wwi+tins

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4715&hl=wwi+tins

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2646&hl=wwi+tins

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2807&hl=wwi+tins

Edited by leigh kitchen

Nice to see "full" WWI tin. I've never picked up a WWI version, I should have. I know that there are small variations depending on manufacturer & that there are fakes, but not much else about them.

It appears that some recipients were very proud of the WWI tins, would imagine that the silver plated one was plated by such a person.

My Anglo - Boer War tin measures 6 1/4" x 3 1/4" x 1".

If you have'nt seen them, check out these threads on Boer War, WWI & WWII Xmas tins:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5674&hl=wwi+tins

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4715&hl=wwi+tins

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2646&hl=wwi+tins

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2807&hl=wwi+tins

I would suspect, although can't confirm that the Indian tins may have had a different insert but I have not been able to clarify that. The information I have on these tins was from a girl who worked as temp for us who, until she had children, worked for the Imperial War Museum.

Paul

Will - welcome back. I don't think the calender was issue - just added as another memento. Find anything interesting on your travels ?

Paul - if we stop and think, it is logical that there would be different contents. Chocolate contains all sorts of things - many of them forbidden to both Moslems and Hindus. I wonder what was given ? Considering the numbers - there must have been thousands - this is an intriguing topic. If no one can help on the Forum, write to the Daily Mail ? (mention the GMIC - that'll keep the Chairman out of mischief, dealing with thousands of new members !)

Mervyn

Will - welcome back. I don't think the calender was issue - just added as another memento. Find anything interesting on your travels ?

Mervyn

And speaking of "other memontoes", the Canadian War Museum had (still has, I suppose) not only a chocalate tin but a wool scarf allegedly knitted by Vickie herself and sent out with the Christmas treats to a Canadian serving in South Africa. At least, that's what I think I remember from a visit many eons ago when I still had all my teeth, all my hair and most of my mind. Has anyone else heard of/seen such things?

Peter

Yes - I heard that story. Apparantly She formed morning knitting groups. The soldiers who received them were chosen by 'lot'.

But what about the contents of Indian tins ???

Chappati flour. As to insert I was thinking of the little card enclosed.

Paul

This an extract from an excellent article published by the Imperial War Museum on the WW1 tins.

" Although it had originally been intended that everyone irrespective of rank, race or religion should receive precisely the same gift, it was soon borne on the Committee that if the dietary rules of various religious groups were to be respected, changes would have to be made in the gifts intended for the Indian Troops. To this end, they sought the help from five "old Indian hands" who after due deliberation, came up with the solution. The Gurkhas were to receive the same gift as the British Troops; Sikhs the box filled with sugar candy, a tin box of spices and the Christmas card, and all the other Indian Troops, the box with a packet of cigarettes and sugar candy, a tin of spices and the card. Authorised "Camp Followers" who for the purpose of this exercise were grouped under the title of Bhistis, were to receive a tin box of spices and the card.

Article Title: "A GIFT FOR CHRISTAMS: THE STORY OF PRINCESS MARY'S GIFT FUND,1914"

By Diana Condell

Book Title : Imperial War Museum Review No. 4

ARTICLES ON ASPECTS OF TWENTIETH CENTURY HISTORY PRINCIPALLY BY THE STAFF OF THE IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM

Published by the Trustees of the Imperial War Museum, 1989

Article Title : A GIFT FOR CHRISTMAS : THE STORY OF PRINCESS MARY'S GIFT FUND, 1914. By Diana Condell "

This an extract from an excellent article published by the Imperial War Museum on the WW1 tins.

" Although it had originally been intended that everyone irrespective of rank, race or religion should receive precisely the same gift, it was soon borne on the Committee that if the dietary rules of various religious groups were to be respected, changes would have to be made in the gifts intended for the Indian Troops. To this end, they sought the help from five "old Indian hands" who after due deliberation, came up with the solution. The Gurkhas were to receive the same gift as the British Troops; Sikhs the box filled with sugar candy, a tin box of spices and the Christmas card, and all the other Indian Troops, the box with a packet of cigarettes and sugar candy, a tin of spices and the card. Authorised "Camp Followers" who for the purpose of this exercise were grouped under the title of Bhistis, were to receive a tin box of spices and the card.

Article Title: "A GIFT FOR CHRISTAMS: THE STORY OF PRINCESS MARY'S GIFT FUND,1914"

By Diana Condell

Book Title : Imperial War Museum Review No. 4

ARTICLES ON ASPECTS OF TWENTIETH CENTURY HISTORY PRINCIPALLY BY THE STAFF OF THE IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM

Published by the Trustees of the Imperial War Museum, 1989

Article Title : A GIFT FOR CHRISTMAS : THE STORY OF PRINCESS MARY'S GIFT FUND, 1914. By Diana Condell "

Many thanks for that, has clarified several points.

Paul

• 3 months later...

Hi Mervyn,

I am back in Khartoum after a few days in the bush. The WW1 tins appear to be the same although I have seen a silver plated ww1 tin in Johannesburg. The Boer War tins differ as I have 2 sizes from different manufacturers in my collection. In my one tin from the Boer War,there is also a small 1900 calendar. Strangely enough, there is also a 1914 calendar that came with one of the ww1 tins in my collection.

Hallo Sabrigade

Is there any chance of seeing the front of your Boer war tin - we have a tin still with the chocolate in which was received by my husbands Great Uncle when he was serving in S.A and it appears to be the third design produced for Cadbury, Fry's and Rowntrees as is different to both the one Mervyn and Leigh have . Also wondered if all three have the same Registration number on them ?

cmce