News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK1 1870

I had asked for advice for a friend on another thread

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5633

and, before I take him the bad news on that one, let me ask about another (in hopes that there'll be some good news when I see him next).

EK1 1870 comments??? If closeups are needed I can borrow it from him and re-scan. I know you compulsive folks look for detailed details.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Ed, great makers mark for Ludwig Lauer (1) of (4) listed in The Iron Time by Previtera. The pin is a bit different, I had not seen one like that before; however, it could have been replaced. Most of the repros on 1870 EK I's I have seen have the tweezer type pin or the double hooks at 3 & 9 o'clock. JMO -- Good

Ed

The only 'Ludwig Lauer' EK1 I have on file is this one below - I don't have the reverse but it was stamped 'LL' just as the example you posted. The pin set-up on this one is horizontal not vertical like your friends, but it was a replacement pin rather than a converted EK2. It is a match for the obverse of your friends piece.

[attachmentid=28078]

I would be happy to own your friends piece and would go as far as to say it was a fairly rare version of the already rare 1870 EK1..... while not perhaps quite as desirable as a Godet or certainly an issue 'I Wagner' marked piece, harder to find than a Godet.

IMO, a great find.... although from the pictures you posted, I would say it is possible the pin is attatched to the hinge upside down.

Marshall

Edited by Biro

The Lauer EK1 that Biro shows is the type I'm more familiar with, but I've seen a couple of those "wide pin" versions. The core details look pretty close between the two: notice the slightly right-leaning "1" in "1813". It's possible that Lauer made two types of pin fastener systems, at different times.

Tim

Ed

Here's the reverse of the 1870 EK1 owned and worn by Kaiser W1 (not a Lauer)

The pin - although slightly less shaped - can certainly be construed as 'wide', so for me, no problem with the pin itself.

You'll notice from this example why I feel the pin on your EK may have been put on 'underside-up'.... at the moment though, the shadow in your photo is obscuring the top of the pin, so it's a hunch.

Marshall

[attachmentid=28387]

Edited by Biro