News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

India General Service 1936

To continue the series:

IGS 1936 Type Collection

The successor to the India General Service Medal, 1908 -- see http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7991&st=0&gopid=76626&. Created to commemorate the accession of the new King-Emperor, George VI, the medal was suspended in 1940 for the duration of WWII. It was anticipated that it was start up again after the war. It was also enticipated that the British empire in India would start up again after the war. Neither happened.

1- NORTH WEST FRONTIER 1936-37 - 3030 SOWAR MAGHAR SINGH. PROBYN'S HORSE.

2- NORTH WEST FRONTIER 1937-39 - 1572 L-NK. BILBAHADUR GURUNG, 1-1 G.R.

3- NORTH WEST FRONTIER 1936-37, NORTH WEST FRONTIER 1937-39 - 8874 SEPOY MIRZA KHAN, 2-8 PUNJAB R.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I've always liked this medal. It is a fruitful source for further research, as most recipients went on to serve in the Second World War. I have found several Singapore casualties, and an I.O.M. winner for Italy (I foolishly parted with that one).

I used to have to go through my paper copies of the Singapore Memorial Registers - collectors today don't know how lucky they are!

Edited by Michael Johnson

Guest Rick Research

Where these "anti-bandit" campaigns, or actual "separatist" expeditions? I know absolutely nothing about the whys and wherefores of these last gasp campaigns (hint hint)....

Where these "anti-bandit" campaigns, or actual "separatist" expeditions? I know absolutely nothing about the whys and wherefores of these last gasp campaigns (hint hint)....

The usual frontier policing. Google "Fakir of Ipi" for the details. Or read John Masters's "Bugles and a Tiger" which gives a good view of his services with the 4th Gurkha Rifles in that campaign. "Prender's Progress" covers the same period (Prendergast even mentions Masters). Readily available from Abebooks at reasonable prices, and a good read.

My last IGS '36 is in this group:

Herbert Waring OBE

Edited by Michael Johnson

Nice stuff Ed, were the North West Frontier 1936-37 and North West Frontier 1937-39 bars the only two issued for this medal? And is the reverse the same as the 1908 India medal?

Sam.