News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"4" Iron Cross, 1st Class

Here is a scan of the reverse, and if you've been paying attention, I think you are seeing what makes this particular Steinhauer and L?ck so controversial. . .

reverse:

[attachmentid=7802]

Edited by Bill Garvy

Here is a close-up of the hinge. It has been suggested by some collectors that this is, perhaps, a post-war manufactured cross, albeit you can clearly see the build quality of this particular cross is, in fact, quite good.

hinge:

[attachmentid=7803]

Edited by Bill Garvy

And finally, the maker mark stamped into the reverse of the pin. I'd be curious to hear what the other Iron Cross collectors here think of this particular cross, with its unusual hinge, pin, and clasp configuration. Is it a post-war manufactured piece, or simply a variant, perhaps a late war variant at that? I anxiously await your thoughtful replies and feedback. . .

maker mark:

[attachmentid=7806]

Edited by Bill Garvy

Hi Bill

You might be interested to know as a member of the Herr Badge collecting community this type of hinge created rethinking in makers of a Panzer Tank badge..The long thought of PAB sc Zimmermann we now believe thanks to the maker mark example '4' found on the Iron Cross like you show and Tank badges with the same hinge and catch...So we now refer to the sc Zimmermann tank Badge as a "S&L"....

I've never seen this hinge on an S&L before, very interesting. Not knowing anything much about KVK's this would have stumped me a bit. In every other respect identical to Steinhauers I've owned. Trapezoidal edges to the swastika, date and frame characteristics and the insanely ugly catch. Nice cross and an interesting variant.