News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

I am looking for some information on the above...

Seems to have been a weapons and ammunition research center... Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks

Chris

Chris;

Isn't this town in Bavaria? I started poking thru my preuss. Ranglisten, but I realize that they will be no help.

Bob Lembke

Chris,

The Hauptlaboratorium in Ingolstadt was part of a large complex devoted to testing and the manufacture of gunpowder, cannons, artillery shells and other chemicals utilized by the army. It was organized in a military fashion and the employees of what had been the technical institute before the war, became part of special worker formations. By 1916 these units were renamed the Technische Betriebs-Bataillone. The workers at Ingolstadt, for the most part, continued to wear civilian clothes to work, but were given a badge to indicate which section of the complex they worked in. Those workers in the Hauptlaboratorium wore a shield just like this only with the number 1. or 4. (companies). The letters on the badge were painted red. The letters TBJ, were for Technische Betriebs-Bataillon Jngolstadt.

• 8 years later...

Yes, super photo! Only the second one I have seen of these badges being worn. It appears that the number on the badge is "5", so if it is indeed Jngolstadt, it would be identical to the badge I showed above. The fifth company was assigned to the Geschützgießerei und Geschoßfabrik. I have come across a previously unknown example that I will post later today.

Chip

Technische Betriebs Batl. München (B). None of the examples shown in Kraus have this extra letter "B", so the meaning at this time is unknown.

Chip

img569.jpg