News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Burma collection

Hi,

I recently went to the War and peace Show with Tony from this forum, and bought a suitcase full of stuff previously owned by a Burma vet. I've attached some pictures. The case is jammed full of fascinating stuff. I wasn't able to fit all the documents, letters etc in the pictures, they're in the blue folder pictured.

The case belonged to 6016452 Pte Clark, of D company 1st Battalion Glosters, but presumably he was in the RA previously, as there is alot of RA stuff contained in the case, including the jacket. Interestingly, there is his 1945 diary, and also a hand written cookbook, because from spring 1945 he began cookery classes in the jungle. If anybody wants me to post any recipes, please let me know. Ingrediants are to feed 100 men though!

John Germ

I dont understand why he would have an old ww1 pattern jacket with 1943 pattern Anti Aircraft patches and not the standard battledress blouse that everyone was wearing.Looks like an interesting case load of stuff.Rob.

Guest Rick Research

What are the FOUR insignia (!) on his lower left sleeve? If he had NCO stripes, he's have been "shoulder seam to cuff!" ohmy.gif

Very interesting grouping there John. I'm wondering if the RA stuff is from a friend or relative? I say that because his service number, 6016452, indicates that his first enlistment was with the Essex Regiment. The Essex were allocated service numbers 5998001-6076000, while the Glosters had 5172001-5239000. Now, this number only indicates who he first enlisted with - it was very common to switch regiments or even Corps after basic training and you always kept your initial service number. RA numbers are much lower, though, on second thought it is quite possible he joined the Essex then transferred to the RA then to the Glosters.

Great find!

And for Rick - the inverted chevron on the left arm is a Good Conduct stripe - the others are qualification badges of some sort, but I'm no expert on those so hopefully someone else can i.d. the rest.

Hi Geoff,

You're absolutely right. Amongst his papers theres an Army Form E54, "Notice to join for training in camp", dated 25 July 1939, directing him to B Company, 5th Battalion The Essex Regt.

His papers don't mention the middle years of the war, most of them are from 1945, but I'd love to know whether he ever was in the RA in the interim period.

Thanks for you contribution.

Best wishes

John Germ beer.gif

• 1 year later...

Hallo Gents, :cheers:

Nice set of items very unique to one man, the red cheverons on the right sleeve, I believe to indicate years of service.

Hallo L-K, thanks for the input and I stand corrected :D

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

What are the FOUR insignia (!) on his lower left sleeve? If he had NCO stripes, he's have been "shoulder seam to cuff!" :o

Can?t make out the top two badges, the inverted chevron is a long service stripe.

SP in wreath is Special Proficiency Pay, which was awarded only to Privates & unpaid Lance Corporals.

The red chevrons on the right sleeve are overseas service stripes, 1940 (I think, but possibly 1939) was represented by a blue chevron the following years red.

The cloth L in wreath sown below the tunic is Gunlayer.

Any chance of a close up of the sleeve badges and the badges on the sheet of paper?

All the best

Chris

The black bow & arrow on red square are AA Command, which was retained after the war other than by some Heavy & Light AA Regiments.

These look like the second pattern of the badge, the first pattern having a less ornate bow ? a semi circular bow without the fancy curves & twirls.

The red strip below the AA Command patches on the tunic is presumably the red half of the blue & red arm of service strip, the one strip indicating senior brigade in the formation.

The black RA on khaki patch are slip on shoulder titles, the red on blue are sew on titles, the tunic has metal RA shoulder titles & the RA?s white lanyard.

I can?t see whether the tunic buttons are the RA gun or the infantry GS pattern..

The L in wreath is Gunlayer, I can?t remember what this white on red version of the Essex Seaxes was ? an Independent Infantry Brigade? ? or a ?battle patch? of the 5th Bn Essex Regt.??......

The sidecap is in the RA colours, but does?nt appear to have a badge on it, merely the ?gun? pattern badge laid on top, instead of the grenade collar dog worn on side caps.

The black patch with bullion star design is the blazer badge of the ?old comrades? The Burma Star Association.