News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victory,British,Star

Hello ed_Heyhes

Thanks a haip for your quick reply,

i am attaching a photo of the list of his medals on his mic card,

according to his medal card,the teather of war in which he first served is egypt,

could you provide me with info on the date when he was given these medals?, :unsure:

Thanks already

William Tuna

Yes, the 1914-15 Star. These would have been awarded post-war and, as I know these cards, this date woiuld be just to the right off the cropped image you show. (Given my main collecting interests, Indian Army, all those cards were thrown out in the 1970s, so my expwerience is limited.)

The theater of first entry is indeed where he first entered a combat area. Beyond that, you'll need research.

The dates will probably be stamped / written on the Medal Index Card, probably issued shortly after WWI but they may have been issued to him or his next of kin many years later, if at all - they may never have been "claimed".

It would be helpful if you could show the whole card.

1st Bn KOSB served Egypt 14/1/16 for about 12 months, & again 19/3/22 - 23/9/22,

2nd Bn KOSB arrived in Egypt 26/11/23, "A" Company going to Cyprus,

4th Bn KOSB served Egypt 4/2/16 - 1917, as did the 5th Bn.

Here's a link to information about The Kings Own Scottish Borderers in WWI:

http://www.warpath.orbat.com/regts/kosb.htm

Edited by leigh kitchen

So he was in 1st Bn KOSB, who were in India at the outbreak of WWI, Mudros, 16/4/15, Gallipoli 25/4/15, Egypt 14/1/06, according to Robert W. Gould's Locations of British Cavalry, Infantry & Machine Gun Units 1914 - 1924.

Soldiers Died shows him as KOSB, "battalion not shown", Killed In Action Gallipoli 28/4/15.

The MIC shows that nhis next of kin applied for his medals on 23/1/20 (a 1914 Star was applied for, but the appropriate Star was the 1914 - 15), they were issued on 5/4/21. At some point an additional name & address for communication has been added.

I wonder if he entered Egypt en route to 1st Bn KOSB after leave or detachment?

You have these details from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site?

Name: ANTROBUS, CHARLES ALEXANDER

Initials: C A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Own Scottish Borderers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 25/04/1915

Additional information: Son of John Coutts Antrobus and Mary Egidia Antrobus, of Eaton Hall, Chester.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XI. A. 8.

Cemetery: TWELVE TREE COPSE CEMETERY

Cemetery Details

Locality: unspecified

Location Information: Take the road opposite the Kabatepe Museum to Helles/Alcitepe. After 14.2 km's, take a right turn at the 'T' junction to Twelve Tree Copse and other Helles cemeteries. After 14.3 km's take the left fork and the cemetery will be found on the right after 15.4 km's. Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery is in the Helles area, about 1 km south-west of the village of Krithia.

Historical Information: The eight month campaign in Gallipoli was fought by Commonwealth and French forces in an attempt to force Turkey out of the war, to relieve the deadlock of the Western Front in France and Belgium, and to open a supply route to Russia through the Dardanelles and the Black Sea. The Allies landed on the peninsula on 25-26 April 1915; the 29th Division at Cape Helles in the south and the Australian and New Zealand Corps north of Gaba Tepe on the west coast, an area soon known as Anzac. On 28 April, following the landings at Helles, the first attack was mounted towards Achi Baba, the ridge which dominates the southern part of the peninsula. Fatigue, however, brought the assault to a halt some kilometres short of the objective, near the village of Krithia. Turkish counter attacks followed but were repulsed and during the period 6-8 May, the 29th and French Divisions, reinforced by the 2nd Australian and New Zealand Infantry Brigades, carried out a renewed attack on Krithia, making some gains but suffering heavy casualties. Between 1 May and the beginning of June, the 29th Indian Infantry Brigade and 42nd (East Lancashire) Division landed on the peninsula. With these reinforcements, the Allied force at Helles pushed forward once more on 4 June, but again to little effect. A further attack between 28 June and 5 July at Gully Ravine inflicted heavy casualties on the Turks, but despite local gains - at one point the line was pushed forward more than a kilometre - there was no breakthrough. By 13 July the advance at Helles was effectively over and the position remained unchanged until the evacuation in January 1916. TWELVE TREE COPSE CEMETERY was made after the Armistice when graves were brought in from isolated sites and small burial grounds on the battlefields of April - August and December 1915. The most significant of these burial grounds were Geoghan's Bluff Cemetery, containing 925 graves associated with fighting at Gully Ravine in June - July 1915: Fir Tree Wood Cemetery, where the 29th Division and New Zealand Infantry Brigade fought in May 1915 and Clunes Vennel Cemetery, containing 522 graves. There are now 3,360 First World War servicemen buried or commemorated in the cemetery. 2,226 of the burials are unidentified but special memorials commemorate many casualties known or believed to be buried among them, including 142 officers and men of the 1st Essex who died on 6 August 1915, and 47 of the 1st/7th Scottish Rifles killed on 28 June. The cemetery also contains the TWELVE TREE COPSE (NEW ZEALAND) MEMORIAL, one of four memorials erected to commemorate New Zealand soldiers who fell on the Gallipoli peninsula and whose graves are not known. The memorial relates to engagements outside the limits of Anzac in which New Zealand soldiers took part. It bears almost 180 names.

No. of Identified Casualties: 1134

Edited by leigh kitchen

From this site:

http://www.thepeerage.com/p12391.htm

Captain Charles Alexander Antrobus1

M, #123904, b. 16 December 1880, d. 25 April 1915

Captain Charles Alexander Antrobus|b. 16 Dec 1880nd. 25 Apr 1915|p12391.htm#i123904|John Coutts Antrobus|b. 23 Nov 1829nd. 19 Dec 1916|p2096.htm#i20951|Mary Egida Lindsay|d. 1 Jul 1911|p2095.htm#i20950|Gibbs C. Antrobus|b. 27 May 1793nd. 21 May 1861|p2686.htm#i26851|Jane Trotter|d. 24 Nov 1829|p2686.htm#i26852|Lt.-Gen. Hon. Sir James Lindsay|b. 25 Aug 1815nd. 13 Aug 1874|p2043.htm#i20429|Lady Sarah E. Savile|b. c 1813nd. 16 Dec 1890|p2045.htm#i20442|

Last Edited=19 Nov 2005

Captain Charles Alexander Antrobus was born on 16 December 1880.1 He was the son of John Coutts Antrobus and Mary Egida Lindsay.1 He died on 25 April 1915 at age 34 at Dardenelles, Turkey, killed in action.1

Captain Charles Alexander Antrobus fought in the First World War. He gained the rank of Captain in the service of the King's Own Scottish Borderers.1

Citations

[s37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 119. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.

I wonder if he entered Egypt en route to 1st Bn KOSB after leave or detachment?

You have these details from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site?

Name: ANTROBUS, CHARLES ALEXANDER

Initials: C A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Own Scottish Borderers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 25/04/1915

Additional information: Son of John Coutts Antrobus and Mary Egidia Antrobus, of Eaton Hall, Chester.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XI. A. 8.

Cemetery Details

Locality: unspecified

Location Information: Take the road opposite the Kabatepe Museum to Helles/Alcitepe. After 14.2 km's, take a right turn at the 'T' junction to Twelve Tree Copse and other Helles cemeteries. After 14.3 km's take the left fork and the cemetery will be found on the right after 15.4 km's. Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery is in the Helles area, about 1 km south-west of the village of Krithia.

Historical Information: The eight month campaign in Gallipoli was fought by Commonwealth and French forces in an attempt to force Turkey out of the war, to relieve the deadlock of the Western Front in France and Belgium, and to open a supply route to Russia through the Dardanelles and the Black Sea. The Allies landed on the peninsula on 25-26 April 1915; the 29th Division at Cape Helles in the south and the Australian and New Zealand Corps north of Gaba Tepe on the west coast, an area soon known as Anzac. On 28 April, following the landings at Helles, the first attack was mounted towards Achi Baba, the ridge which dominates the southern part of the peninsula. Fatigue, however, brought the assault to a halt some kilometres short of the objective, near the village of Krithia. Turkish counter attacks followed but were repulsed and during the period 6-8 May, the 29th and French Divisions, reinforced by the 2nd Australian and New Zealand Infantry Brigades, carried out a renewed attack on Krithia, making some gains but suffering heavy casualties. Between 1 May and the beginning of June, the 29th Indian Infantry Brigade and 42nd (East Lancashire) Division landed on the peninsula. With these reinforcements, the Allied force at Helles pushed forward once more on 4 June, but again to little effect. A further attack between 28 June and 5 July at Gully Ravine inflicted heavy casualties on the Turks, but despite local gains - at one point the line was pushed forward more than a kilometre - there was no breakthrough. By 13 July the advance at Helles was effectively over and the position remained unchanged until the evacuation in January 1916. TWELVE TREE COPSE CEMETERY was made after the Armistice when graves were brought in from isolated sites and small burial grounds on the battlefields of April - August and December 1915. The most significant of these burial grounds were Geoghan's Bluff Cemetery, containing 925 graves associated with fighting at Gully Ravine in June - July 1915: Fir Tree Wood Cemetery, where the 29th Division and New Zealand Infantry Brigade fought in May 1915 and Clunes Vennel Cemetery, containing 522 graves. There are now 3,360 First World War servicemen buried or commemorated in the cemetery. 2,226 of the burials are unidentified but special memorials commemorate many casualties known or believed to be buried among them, including 142 officers and men of the 1st Essex who died on 6 August 1915, and 47 of the 1st/7th Scottish Rifles killed on 28 June. The cemetery also contains the TWELVE TREE COPSE (NEW ZEALAND) MEMORIAL, one of four memorials erected to commemorate New Zealand soldiers who fell on the Gallipoli peninsula and whose graves are not known. The memorial relates to engagements outside the limits of Anzac in which New Zealand soldiers took part. It bears almost 180 names.

No. of Identified Casualties: 1134

Leigh

thank you very much for all the info you have provided!

i hae all these dtails concerning him from the cwgc page,well i have been to gallipoli many times,gallipoli is someting like ma second home,well "he entered Egypt en route to 1st Bn KOSB after leave or detachment?", i really dinna know!,the only information i hae got from my dad is that his first comission was in the 2nd KOSB in 1908 and served fer a year as A.D.C,(which i dinna know what it means) to the general officer commanding in chief,scottish command

as for his next o kin applied for his medals on 23/1/20,she was ma fithers aunty :)

Best Wishes

William Tuna

Photo & obituary of Captain Antrobus, originally printed in De Ruvignys Roll Of Honour Vol 2 available here, for a small fee:

<a href="http://www.lulu.com/content/459479" target="_blank">http://www.lulu.com/content/459479</a>

Or follow this link to the same resource:

<a href="http://www.ww1photos.com/KOSB.html" target="_blank">http://www.ww1photos.com/KOSB.html</a>

And somewhere in this list, he should pop up as featuring in "The War Budget":

<a href="http://www.folder2.co.uk/miscwwi.htm" target="_blank">http://www.folder2.co.uk/miscwwi.htm</a>

Although this relates to Boer War passenger lists, it looks like his name may be listed here:

<a href="http://hometown.aol.co.uk/heatherasplin/bwsl00.html" target="_blank">http://hometown.aol.co.uk/heatherasplin/bwsl00.html</a>

Ah, I thought that I'd found a bit more info but it's a posting by you, gumbirsingpun.

The original request for the medals was by the J.J. Antrobus, Rector of Hatfield, the lady with the Congleton address is aunt, then.

Edited by leigh kitchen

the only thing i have regarding cecil hugh antrobus is his mic,also i hae a small photo o him!,all i hae been told by my dad is that he was serving with the 6th cameronian highlanders when he was killed in action at loos

Edited by gumbirsingpun

Sorry, I'd edited my mistake before you posted the correction -Soldiers Died shows Captain (Temporary Captain) Cecil Hugh Antrobus, 6th Bn Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, KIA 26/9/15, location not given - but presumably you have the information from the CWGC site?

Ah, killed in France:

http://www.thepeerage.com/p12388.htm

Captain Cecil Hugh Antrobus1

M, #123876, b. 25 September 1877, d. 25 September 1915

Captain Cecil Hugh Antrobus|b. 25 Sep 1877nd. 25 Sep 1915|p12388.htm#i123876|John Coutts Antrobus|b. 23 Nov 1829nd. 19 Dec 1916|p2096.htm#i20951|Mary Egida Lindsay|d. 1 Jul 1911|p2095.htm#i20950|Gibbs C. Antrobus|b. 27 May 1793nd. 21 May 1861|p2686.htm#i26851|Jane Trotter|d. 24 Nov 1829|p2686.htm#i26852|Lt.-Gen. Hon. Sir James Lindsay|b. 25 Aug 1815nd. 13 Aug 1874|p2043.htm#i20429|Lady Sarah E. Savile|b. c 1813nd. 16 Dec 1890|p2045.htm#i20442|

Last Edited=4 Jul 2004

Captain Cecil Hugh Antrobus was born on 25 September 1877.1 He was the son of John Coutts Antrobus and Mary Egida Lindsay.1 He died on 25 September 1915 at age 38 at France, killed in action.1

Captain Cecil Hugh Antrobus fought in the Boer War in 1900.1 He gained the rank of Captain in the service of the 6th Battalion, Cameron Highlanders.1 He fought in the First World War between 1914 and 1915.1

Same name, born 1916........

Lt.-Col. Charles Hugh Antrobus1

M, #123872, b. 18 April 1916

Lt.-Col. Charles Hugh Antrobus|b. 18 Apr 1916|p12388.htm#i123872|Reverend Jocelyn James Antrobus|b. 9 May 1876nd. 10 Sep 1953|p12387.htm#i123869|Justine Mary Louisa King|d. 17 Jun 1964|p12387.htm#i123870|John C. Antrobus|b. 23 Nov 1829nd. 19 Dec 1916|p2096.htm#i20951|Mary E. Lindsay|d. 1 Jul 1911|p2095.htm#i20950|Major William A. King||p12388.htm#i123871||||

Last Edited=4 Jul 2004

Lt.-Col. Charles Hugh Antrobus was born on 18 April 1916.1 He is the son of Reverend Jocelyn James Antrobus and Justine Mary Louisa King.1 He married Pamela Spencer, daughter of Lt.-Col. Huntly Gordon Spencer, on 7 July 1945.1

Lt.-Col. Charles Hugh Antrobus was educated at Eton College, Eton, Berkshire, England.1 He was educated at Magdalene College, Cambridge University, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England.1 He graduated from Cambridge University with the degree of Master of Arts (M.A.).1 He fought in the Second World War between 1939 and 1945, where he was mentioned in despatches.1 He gained the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in the service of the Royal Artillery.1 He lived in 2003 at Wootton House, Wootton, Wiltshire, England.1

Citations

[s37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 119. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.

Yes, on 25/9/1015, 6 British divisions attacked along a 7 mile front, preceded by a massive bombardment, & deployment of gas, the supposition that the German front line trenches would be destroyed & the surviving occupants in no fit state to resist.......however......... the attack was no surprise at all to the Germans as the British had postponed it by about 10 days in order to bring up more gas, the gas did'nt roll "uphill" to the Germans, but it did drift back on the British, who also had to attack through it as it collected in No Mans Land...........