News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 British and colonial tunics...

If you mean Great war service dress, I think the Canadian ones have 6 buttons as opposed to 5 on British tunics. There could well be more differences but the number of buttons is the only difference I know about.

Tony

Hi,

apparently Canadian tunics are the cheapest because the Canadians could keep theirs after the war (meaning there are more found today than British ones)

How do you tell the difference between the two? The Brit and Canadian ones look the same to me :-(

Best

Chris

Hi,

apparently Canadian tunics are the cheapest because the Canadians could keep theirs after the war (meaning there are more found today than British ones)

How do you tell the difference between the two? The Brit and Canadian ones look the same to me :-(

Best

Chris

Chris

Apparently the standard issue Canadian tunic actually had seven buttons but, to muddy the waters, they also made a five button version modelled on the British. :speechless: The only way to tell the latter apart from Brit. is by looking at minute differences in styling. However, I believe that as early as WWI we used a "C broadarrow" marking: the standard British broad arrow mark inside a large letter C.

Sorry there's no easy 'tell'.

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

The Canadian 1903 Pattern looked similar to the British 1902 Pattern, but with more brown to the khaki, had seven buttons down the front instead of five, & pointed seams at the cuff.

I think that the Canadian buttons were smaller than the ones that the British used to fasten tunics & greatcoats, more the size of the British buttons for fastening shoulderstraps, but I may have got that wrong.

The British had worn detachable shoulder straps, the Canadians still did.

Edited by leigh kitchen
    Typed in the wrong numebr of buttons