News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Distinguished Service Order GV Issue

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Something I've always wanted arrived today. These are gorgeous medals. The design work reminds me of the French Legion of Honors.

Guest Darrell

They are pretty things. A shame that (like the MC) they aren't named.

:beer:

Thanks Ed. They are very nice medals.

Actually the MC's are issued un-named but are found often engraved.

It would be nice if the DSO's were engraved along the reverse of the bottom ribbon bar much like the VC.

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

True. But the naming (seen on both the MC and DSO, by the way) has often been added later. Maybe by the recipient, maybe by far less worthy greedy folks .....

Yeah, the latter was what scared me off getting an engraved example. Just too many questions unless part of an attributed group with other named medals. And those don't come cheap.

Edited by Darrell

• 3 months later...

Lovely award. Just wondering on the materials used...is it gilded silver?? Is it marked in any way?

Rich

They are silver gilt and not hallmarked. The first 153 awards made during the reign of Queen Victoria were in gold, however they soon switched to gilt for cost reasons. A gold one will fetch considerably more than a Victorian silver gilt example but they seldom come up for sale. The GV type is the most common with almost 10,000 awarded, mostly for WWI.

They are silver gilt and not hallmarked. The first 153 awards made during the reign of Queen Victoria were in gold, however they soon switched to gilt for cost reasons. A gold one will fetch considerably more than a Victorian silver gilt example but they seldom come up for sale. The GV type is the most common with almost 10,000 awarded, mostly for WWI.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

One of my favorites. My Victorian is missing the top bar which is a shame, but a beautiful piece. I am jazzed to see yours with the top suspension bar in tact.

Bravo

Tony