News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gulf War II Medal

Hi,
    Can anyone answer these questions for me?

1, What is the correct name for this medal?
    2. I assume that the bar, gives the dates of when the war was on, howver, it now appears that although the war is over, the fighting is still going on, how does the clasp/bar stand then, are there more bars to be issued, will the Black Watch get a bar, of some description.
    3. How long do you have to serve and where in order to gain the medal?

Cheers,
    BJOW.

4. What Op Telic number are we up to know?
    5. What Op number, did you have to serve on to qualify as a Gulf War Veteran? Or is it a case of Iraq conflict Veteran? Surely they`ll be soldiers who served in rear echelon posts who got the medal and bar, but never heard a shot fired in anger, and they`ll be soldiers, who there first tour, saw service in Camp Dogwood, or with those RMP`s who were killed, surely there must be some, format set out to cover this. I know of guys who served in Cyprus during the 1990/91 conflict that got a gong, and living in married quaters with their families, and had nothing what so ever to do with the war, and just carried on day to day, as they would have done, if the war hadn`t been on. Also a guy who served for months during the build up, but was able to go home just before the 4 days fighting started in order to get married, so got the gong but not the bar, and finally, I know of loads of guys who served in both or either conflict, who didn`t do anything except sit and play cards, and get bored (quote) who got the medal(s) and clasp. It just appears a little unfair, to me, maybe there should have been no clasps, like the SA medal, or maybe set battle clasps, eg, Basra, etc, and to qualify you had to have served in the combat area, like the criteria for Hitlers Crimea shield.

I`d very much like to hear anyone else`s view on this.

While I`m on this new OSM seems another one open for abuse, e.g You could have a Regiment say the Paras who were heavily involved in Sierra Lionne, but say did bugger all in Afganistan, all a seller would have to do is change the ribbon, and you could double the value of it? Just a thought??

BJOW.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen the new Iraq medal. It is proposed that those that were involved with the original OP Telic will get a bar with dates on. Those involved in Iraq since the alleged end of the war will be awarded it without a bar.

As for the OSM from a collectors point of view I agree it will be open to abuse as changing a ribbon is easy, but it also means anyone parting with their hard earned cash needs to have more than just the medal to ensure the provenance.

One question that seems to beg answering is thus,

What is the criteria to qualify as a Gulf War II Veteran? Do you have to have served during the operation to get rid of Saddam, or is the fact that you`ve served in Iraq during any part of the campaign enough. My arguement is that there seems to have been just as much fighting since Saddam went as it took to remove him in the first place, and looks set to go on for a great deal of time to come!!

With referance to the OSM, I agree with you.

I always thought the term 'veteran' meant someone with long combat experience. It seems to have been manipulated by the media to include anyone with military experience whom they can write a story about. Maybe Pikemedals could help on this one ( sorry mate, you re very knowledgeabul!)

John

That is interesting, hadn`t thought of that. But it begs the question how long is long combat experiance?

Eg 5 years in Burma or sent to the western front on the 15th June 1916, wounded on the 1st July, to spend the rest of the war in UK, recovering?

South Atlantic Vets or Gulf War 1 Vets? Which would count?

I think you`ve put a very valid point regarding the press.

Is there anyone out there that considers themselves a war vet, and whats your story, I`d very much like to hear from you.

The press as we all know seem to be the ones that decide most things in the Western World and have so much influence on social, political and economic trends that they have decided a veteran is anyone that serves in a combat zone whether in a combatant or non combatant support role. The term veteran is very much a US influence and when watching US television you will see many references to the word from long serving sports personalities being veterans to police officers with a few year service being called " a veteran with 4 years service" on COPS.

To my mind the term in military terms would be very much dependant on the casualty rate. A very high casualty rate would determine that a soldier who survived a number of weeks may be termed a veteran as opposed to a low casualty rate where it may be years which determins veteran status. To me veteran implies a very experienced soldier. But in the US the terms applies to anyone who has served their country. So anyone that has served in Iraq from the start of the current conflict until today would be seen in the eyes of the media as a Gulf War veteran.

• 5 weeks later...

:violent-smiley-017: I believe that the new OSM has a clasp Afganistan for this campaign. Is this to be the norm for the new OSM? I was under the impression that a new ribbon would be asigned to each campaign? I also hear that theres a NATO medal for this campaign as well. Do British soldiers get two medals for this tour?