News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baden Group with Friedrich II Verdienst Medals

Here is a Baden group I have had for a while that has both the Silver VM and the Large Gold VM. Both are on the combatant ribbon and both appear to be late plated zinc types. One problem - According to all the infomation I can find, the Large Gold VM was never awarded on this ribbon although about 500 awards of the small version were made. I can't find anything wrong with the bar that would indicate that it has been played with or is a recent fabrication. The wear and aging is consistent with a group that has been together for a long time. Any thoughts?

Interresting bar, thanks for showing.

I would say the gold MVM is a spangenstueck.

No, both are awarded ones. But the question is...

Well Beau, you're pretty right, there are NO awards of the Big Golden Merit medal on that ribbon known. There might have been some towards wars end that noone knows andf noone has proof for. Maybe you have ones. I have never seen the small golden medal (on that ribbon) without the silver one. Unaware of what for the Big Golden might have been given for I would assume it would rather come in a trio of all classes. No proof for that, just a thought.

The bar looks fair and not played with. No doubts about it. I'd say there are two possibilities: it may be one that was awarded and noone has a document or a list for, or it may be a foolish, alter gilt replacement for a Small Golden one! The bar dates into the early 30s when noone minded. Without a name to the bar we cannot proof anything, unfortunally. However, nice and interresting Baden bar.

Guest Rick Research

Sascha-- I am SURE there are complete rolls of anything there was. Baden was very very good. YOU just need to go in and ask to LOOK. (Aside from the initiation mutilations, which heal quickly, there is no price to pay to become a Gnome....) :rolleyes:

I too agree that NOTHING has been altered on that bar since it was made in the 1930s. Betcha it's indeed a wearer-"improved" nonexistent Big Gold for a real Little Gold.

What is the next to last cross? That's the ribbon for the Dutch Order of Oranje-Nassau!!!!!! THAT award may hold the key to an identification.

Can an inoffical award held to identify someone? Well, at least a bit. From Roth's 402 wearers of the small golden merit medal only some hand full artillery men remain. Most were infantry and I don't think those would wear that cross. Of that hand full only very few - or just one? - has the additional W?rttemberg MVM, and at least the class of long service award gives it. Unique combination - but no way to narow him down.