News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great info Rob.

Mervyn, I'm in the right place to find a bush hat and have seen a few around, just don't know enough about them yet to tell the difference between WWI issue or later issues.

Tony

• Replies 88
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be a little bit :off topic: , but many years ago I had a badge from Oz with a kangaroo leaping over a clear plexiglas(?) boomerang. It seems to me it had 2 rings on the back for a "cotter pin" type attachment. Anyone recognize it?

Hello Mervyn,

I would agree that outside of Australia they are difficult items to find.

I had all 3 volumes back in the early 1990s but have since managed to either lend them to another collector or mislaid them. A dealer friend in Sydney has all 3 volumes and has indicated, that while Mr Cossum does not intend to provide an update to the books, another publishing house and author is apparently going to attempt an update. When I have more information I will post here.

To all,

As fate would have it I have just relocated copies of some of my Australian badge books by J.K. Cossum that had been previously not been seen for a while.

As an aide to others I thought it would be advantageous to post images here of all the J.K. Cossum reference books I'm aware of. I am not sure of how available all these books will be to those outside of Australia but it is far better to know these references exist than not. Not wishing to infringe on anyone's copyright I will only post pictures of the covers for the general reference and awareness of all.

I will start with the series of three books on Australian Army badges, that were discussed earlier in this post, and will follow with others that have been published later.

The format will be cover image, relevant ISBN, and any publishing details.

I hope they are of use.

More to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

This volume is a 'must have' particularly for those that are interested in the 'Rising Sun Badge'.

This volume is 40 pages in length and illustrates, in black and white, 148 varieties of the Rising Sun badge as well 20 varieties of the Rising Sun collar badges.

No ISBN.

Copyright 1986.

Edited by RobW

This is the last volume in my library of purely Australian references by Mr Cossum. 124 pages with illustrations in black and white.

ISBN: 0 949530 14 X

Copyright 1997.

I hope they will be of use to others.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Most impressed and great that you took the time to post them. I'm trying to order the ones you posted earlier and when the new book on Aust. badges is published - perhaps someone could alert us with the publisher's name ?

Rob - since you have the books - see if you can find the badge Tom described ??? We seem to have - at last - some good Aussie posts - we must try to keep them going. We may be out numbered - but, never out classed ..............

Certainly not cheap these books via Ebay... I'm hoping to pick them up in some small secondhand bookshop.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Australian-Army-Badges-JK-Cossum_W0QQitemZ330353367701QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item4cea985a95&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Colin

Certainly not cheap these books via Ebay... I'm hoping to pick them up in some small secondhand bookshop.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Australian-Army-Badges-JK-Cossum_W0QQitemZ330353367701QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item4cea985a95&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Colin

Try Abebooks

Most impressed and great that you took the time to post them. I'm trying to order the ones you posted earlier and when the new book on Aust. badges is published - perhaps someone could alert us with the publisher's name ?

Rob - since you have the books - see if you can find the badge Tom described ??? We seem to have - at last - some good Aussie posts - we must try to keep them going. We may be out numbered - but, never out classed ..............

Hello Mervyn,

No problems. The first three books (Cossum badges - Parts 1 -3) are not mine but are actually copies of a dealer friend in Sydney. I managed to borrow them in order to illustrate their covers for fellow collectors in this thread so that they could see what exists. They are indeed rare items. I fear my originals have been lost in the passage of time.

As a caveat I am not a 'badge person' but an Interallied Victory medal collector. However, when I have time this week I shall peruse all the volumes I have to try and locate the badge Tom described. The difficulty will be as both the Kangaroo and Boomerang are considered iconic in Australia it could be any badge amongst a sea of possibilities. I will also consult with my dealer friend in Sydney who owns all the Cossum references, including those that I borrowed, and see what he knows.

More to follow when I have done some research.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

As a caveat I am not a 'badge person' but an Interallied Victory medal collector. However, when I have time this week I shall peruse all the volumes I have to try and locate the badge Tom described. The difficulty will be as both the Kangaroo and Boomerang are considered iconic in Australia it could be any badge amongst a sea of possibilities. I will also consult with my dealer friend in Sydney who owns all the Cossum references, including those that I borrowed, and see what he knows.

Regards,

Rob

I couldn't agree more. I've been searching online for the badge Tom described but have only found modern souvenir items.

Tony

Now that you mention it - strange how Countries are stereotyped. Aussie - always , kangaroos - boomerangs and koalas. England - Beefeaters, Guards, red busses and police ( they're the best ....) France - garlic and berets. We should all add to this list...

Hello Mervyn,

However, when I have time this week I shall peruse all the volumes I have to try and locate the badge Tom described. The difficulty will be as both the Kangaroo and Boomerang are considered iconic in Australia it could be any badge amongst a sea of possibilities. I will also consult with my dealer friend in Sydney who owns all the Cossum references, including those that I borrowed, and see what he knows.

Regards,

Rob

To all,

After looking through all my references during the week the only badge that I can find that comes even close to that described by Tom is a local New South Wales state Infantry Battalion badge. The pictures is posted below. It has been taken from Part 1 of the Cossum badge book. I have also inquired with those dealers and fellow collectors far more knowledgeable than I in Sydney to no avail.

I hope that this has helped if only to reduce the list of badge suspects.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Thanks Mervyn.

I now need to find a Great War issue slouch hat at a bargain price and obviously one that once belonged to a Lighthorseman, with plume of course.

Tony

Hello Tony,

For those that have an interest, either passing or dedicated, in the Australian slouch hat I would recommend the following reference. 140 pages, with colour and black and white illustrations.

ISBN: 0909458235

Copyright: 2002

Hope it is of use.

Regards,

Rob

Well done Rob - I bet that was the badge Tom remembers. The boomerang could easily look 'clear' if the lighting was wrong.

All these great ref. books you keep showing - my bookshop in UK is going 'crazy' trying to find them. Should you ever find another copy of the Slouch hat one, I will very happily add your costs and postage.

I often wonder how many Aussies belong to the Forum - I know that not enough of them are posting !! I wonder if the Chairman ever posts a breakdown by Country - mind you, he's probably getting over one after all the up-dates.....

What could be our next Aust. topic ?

Well done Rob - I bet that was the badge Tom remembers. The boomerang could easily look 'clear' if the lighting was wrong.

All these great ref. books you keep showing - my bookshop in UK is going 'crazy' trying to find them. Should you ever find another copy of the Slouch hat one, I will very happily add your costs and postage.

I often wonder how many Aussies belong to the Forum - I know that not enough of them are posting !! I wonder if the Chairman ever posts a breakdown by Country - mind you, he's probably getting over one after all the up-dates.....

Hello Mervyn,

I will check the local Sydney resources tomorrow and reply by PM if any are available. In the meantime, and while awaiting a response, I would suggest you drop over to <abebooks.com>. I know that there are a few copies there.

I'll let you know what I find out.

As for posting; you never know some Australians, they could just be a shy lot !!

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hello Mervyn,

Item located. PM sent.

Regards,

Rob

To all,

Just when you thought 'it was safe to go back in the water' :D here is yet another Australian badge reference book.

In the days before Australian Federation in 1901 the individual states were separate entities. This lead to a wide variety of state militia units and consequently some very interesting badges. This book is a very good pictorial listing of the military badges of New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania before Federation.

ISBN : 0 909458 22 7

Copyright : 2000

316 pages, black and white illustrations.

Unfortunately this book is long out of print and quite difficult to obtain.

Regards,

Rob

Mervyn,

A fascinating area of study is the Australian Colour Patch system. It was introduced in the Great War and has been used in some form since then. The sheer volume of unit patches would be an interesting study in itself.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks for the info about the book Rob.

Tony

No worries Tony. I am a big believer in getting the information out there amongst the collecting fraternity.

If you think I can help let me know.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW