News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Légion d'Honneur

Bear

Hello,

If you have any interesting items on the First Empire Légion d'Honneur post them.

thanks,

barry

This soldier is wearing the uniform of a Commissioner of War circa 1810.

General Jean-Baptiste-Isidore Lamarque d?Arrouzat

(1762-1830)

This a document by General Lamarque while a Major in the 15th Regiment of the Line and dated the 10th of August 1807. Lamarque would distinguish himself at the battle of Aspern-Essling.

Marshal Michel Ney

(1769-1815)

Paris, December 31, 1807

Great Chancellor of the L?gion d?Honneur

I have the honour of addressing you the services record of Mr. Poirot, Aide-de-Camp lieutenant of g?n?ral de brigade Brun;

This officer having always distinguished himself, especially at the battle of Friedland, I pray you to insert him in the first work as having rights to getting the decoration.

Receive, Monsieur le Grand Chancelier and dear colleague, the assurance of my high consideration.

Le Mar?chal

(Signed)

NEY

Marshal Pierre-Francois-Charles Augereau

(1757-1816)

1st of May 1807

After the campaign of Franconie, His Majesty deigned to make me hope to give a sabre d? honneur to the Chef d?Escadron Larrieu for the cleverness and bravery he had shown in several occasions, but this young officer left for another army and he did not obtain this distinction. He has since then ever been waging war, and General Verdier, whose Aide-de-Camp he is, gives an excellent testimony of his services. He?s going to the Grande Arm?e and has let me known his desire to get the officer cross of the L?gion d?honneur. As he has got real titles to my esteem, I cannot, Monseigneur, refuse to recommend him to your Highness?s benevolance.

(signed)

AUGEREAU

Marshal Andre Massena

(1758-1817)

In bivouac on Lobau Island, Vienna, May 26, 1809. Massena writes to Emperor Napoleon, ?request Your Imperial and Royal Majesty to reward the officers of my staff who distinguished themselves in the battle of the 21st and 22nd. For Colonel St. Croix, my aide-de-camp, the officer?s cross?? and for his other aides-de-camp ?Lieutenant Renique?the rank of Captain / for Lieutenant Porcher?the rank of Captain, for Lieutenant Massena?the Legionnaire?s cross??, as well as promotions and medals for a number of other officers.

• 3 weeks later...

L?gion-d?Honneur- Type IV

Hi Bear,

Are you sure it is a Type IV?

There is a hallmark on the ribbons at 06:00, I should not be surprised if it is a small head of boar.

Is there any other hallmark on the ring?

This model is showing all the characteristics of a "Presidence" one (1851 - 1852).. but it could be also a 'hybrid' one.

And I may be wrong ... :catjava:

Regards

Bison

Hi Bear

Thank you for these fantastic pictures!

They confirm my feeling, it is a "Pr?sidence" model and not a Type IV of the 1st Empire.

You can see there a little hallmark on the ribbons of the observe:

Explanation in my following post...

This hallmark represents a head of boar like this:

It is a legal proof for silver for the period starting from 1838.

Therefore, it is a "Presidence" model, made just before the reinstallation of the 2nd Empire in 1852.

Usually, the 1st Empire model have no ribbons (but two exceptions known in the L?gion d'honneur Museum in Paris, and another in the Royal Army Museum in Brussels).

The centers were made in several parts, two or three...

In 1851,then the future Napoleon III (he was then President) restored the L?gion d'honneur like it was during the Empire, a large number of medals were made, especially for the veterans and for his supporters.

But they were slightly different, and sometimes create nowadays some confusion.

Anyway, it is a beautiful model. But far less scarce than a pure Type IV.

All this to share a little knowledge about this fantastic medal.

Thanks again for these beautiful pictures. I'd like to have this piece in my own collection.

Regards

Bison

Its like being kicked in the balls. :cheeky:

Hi Barry

Ouh la la... it was not my aim...

The 'Presidence' Type was very ephemere. It is not listed in the Vernon's collectors' guide, and it is a lack.

There were many variations, starting in 1848.

1. The Decree of 12 SEPT 1848 instituted the mention "Bonaparte 1er Consul", without crown as suspender.

2. The Decree of 31 DEC 1851 re-established a Crown as suspender and the mention "NAPOLEON EMP. DES FRANCAIS" (so-called Presidence type)

3. The Decree of 16 MAR 1852 re-established an Imperial Eagle on the reverse.

Therefore, one can find all the combinations with these three close rules. The 2nd Empire Type was definitely established during the years 1852 - 1853.

Regards

• 2 years later...
    Posted · Hidden by Triadoro, December 14, 2011 - No reason given
    Hidden by Triadoro, December 14, 2011 - No reason given

This Legion of Honor is unusual. It can be both be identified to maker and precisely dated. Of all the order makers, Biennais, jeweler to Napoleon, used a cross patee or maltese cross on the top rather than the latin cross.

The crown shows elements of the late III type of LdH but the badge is 4th type with balls on the ends of the points (to prevent enamel chips.) This would date its manufacture to December 1812 after Napoleon’s return to Paris from Russia.

There were few LdH badges made while the Russian invasion was in progress, but a large number were given out when Napoleon returned in December to reorganize the government and suppress discontent among the population.