News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

Does anyone have a WWI unit history for IR 126? I just looking for a synopsis of the unit, dates of where they served, battles they were in, notable action, etc.

Thank you,

Claudius

Claudius

This is in German - but reasonably easy to understand (I hope)

Scroll down the page for WW1

IR 126

Regards

Richie

I have the 1914 -18 regimental history of the IR126. It icludes a list of battle and locations. I will post it later

That would be great. I am looking for their battles and notable engagements. Will the regimental history have names of award winners? WGMMM, EK2, etc.

That would be great. I am looking for their battles and notable engagements. Will the regimental history have names of award winners? WGMMM, EK2, etc.

Award lists and War diary of IR126

This is great! Thank you Naxos. I was looking for IR 126's major engagements and for the list of WGMMM winners. I'm looking up three individuals who won the WGMMM to learn when, and perhaps guess at for what action.

I found Paul Frech and Artur Rieber on this list. Both received the Gold on August 31, 1917. The fraktur is hard to read, but this was just after the events at... I can make out "6th Army in Artois"? (pg 370)

I can't find Eugen Hamburger on this list. Perhaps just a mistake that he was left off.

Thank you for posting the pages!

This is great! Thank you Naxos. I was looking for IR 126's major engagements and for the list of WGMMM winners. I'm looking up three individuals who won the WGMMM to learn when, and perhaps guess at for what action.

I found Paul Frech and Artur Rieber on this list. Both received the Gold on August 31, 1917. The fraktur is hard to read, but this was just after the events at... I can make out "6th Army in Artois"? (pg 370)

I can't find Eugen Hamburger on this list. Perhaps just a mistake that he was left off.

Thank you for posting the pages!

I will have a look, perhaps I can find some details regarding your individuals

Lt. d. R. Hamburger was listed as MIA on August 27, 1918 after the battle at M?hlenberg (Henin sur Cojeul - Cherisy)) on August 23 - 26, 1918

Edited by Naxos

Nice bit of research. Thank you for the map of the battle. Lt. d. R. Hamburger was MIA in Aug 27, 1918. Presumably, he was never found and presumed dead? I realize this sounds a bit blunt. I'm only asking to determine if he survived the war.

If so, that leaves Lt.d.R. Frech and Lt.d.R. Rieber as remaining candidates. They at least, both received their WGMMM on the same day...presumably for meritorious bravery during the same action.

Nice bit of research. Thank you for the map of the battle. Lt. d. R. Hamburger was MIA in Aug 27, 1918. Presumably, he was never found and presumed dead? I realize this sounds a bit blunt. I'm only asking to determine if he survived the war.

Eugen Hamburger did survive the war in a British POW camp.

Edited by Naxos

If so, that leaves Lt.d.R. Frech and Lt.d.R. Rieber as remaining candidates. They at least, both received their WGMMM on the same day...presumably for meritorious bravery during the same action.

Yes, Lt.d.R Paul Frech and Lt.d.R. Arthur Rieber were awarded the Goldene Milit?r-Verdienstmedaille for their actions at H?nin-sur-Cojeul and Fontaine-lez Croisilles south-east of Arras. (August 01 to 27, 1918)

Most likely for actions during the British attacks on H?nin sur Cojeul (23. August 1918) and M?hlenberg (24. bis 27. August 1918).

Can you tell us what you got. :unsure:

• 3 years later...

I was just reminded that years ago the rolls for the Württemberg Golden Military Merit Medal (WGMMM) were being worked on, and are now finished and cross-tabulated with the other known rolls.

On this thread, I was looking to identify the owner of this medal bar.

To re-cap:

The known candidates were narrowed down to these three. Thank you again Naxos for providing some outstanding details.

Lt. d. R. Paul Frech, rec’d WGMMM 8/31/17

Lt. d. R. Artur Rieber, rec’d WGMMM 8/31/17

Lt. d. R. Eugen Hamburger, rec’d WGMMM on 8/27/18

Lt. d. R. Hamburger most likely earned the WGMMM for actions during the British attacks on Hénin sur Cojeul (August 23rd 1918) or Mühlenberg (August 24-27, 1918). He was listed as MIA on August 27, 1918 after the battle at Mühlenberg (Henin sur Cojeul - Cherisy). Eugen Hamburger did survive the war in a British POW camp.

Of these three, I am wondering if the new roll tabulations would provide any way to separate them further. Either with additional awards they earned, and are not on the medal bar, or maybe died before 1934 and didn’t earn the Hindenburg Cross.

Thank you for your help.