News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Someone split up an album from the 99. R.I.R. on ebay.

I bid on all, but was left behind in the feeding frenzy.

Did manage to get some shots of some senior NCOs, I assume mid 1915- mid 1916. The wounded guy is August 1916, after the regt was hit so hard by the men of the Ulster division-...

Guest Rick Research

Any of these named? Quite a few Offizierstellvertreters in there. Last one with bayonet AND sword quite "overdressed" for the camera. The Feldwebel with sword, map case, and reporting pouch is about as "attitude" as I've ever seen. It would be a crime if these were peeled out of labelled pages and their names just discarded.

Hi,

Guy in post one is Feldwebel Kuhn.(1st Company)

Guy in post two is called Hildebrandt

Post 3 Offz Stellv Agram

Post 4 and 5 unknown

Post 6 says Waffenmeister Zinner or Zenner

The guy who owned the album seems to have been an NCO on Regimental staff.

Of course, a number of these guys must have died as the 99 RIR was one of the front regiments that faced the British attack on the 1st day of the Somme. The British actually broke through their lines and split the regiment in two on there way to the Schwaben Redoubt.

Guest Rick Research

Worthwhile looking for their regimental history.

RIR 99 was one of the WEIRDEST units I've ever encountered, from awards rolls for its officers: Baden, Thuringian, Württemberg, Mecklenburg... a real inexplicable mixture! :speechless1:

• 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Awesome photo--really neat Field Grey Hussar uniform there!! What would the individual be, second from left next to the Hussar? Dragoons?

With the Brandenburg cuffs, I would assume he is infantry.

The sleeve chevrons indicate the rank of Feldwebel

Chip

Sam,

You are correct in that a Feldwebel wore those, but a Sergeant, a Vizefeldwebel and an Offizierstellvertreter had the same collar Tresse and button. The differentiating features for a Feldwebel were the double rings of braid on the cuff (not always worn, as in this photo) and the sleeve chevrons.

Chip

Sam,

You are correct in that a Feldwebel wore those, but a Sergeant, a Vizefeldwebel and an Offizierstellvertreter had the same collar Tresse and button. The differentiating features for a Feldwebel were the double rings of braid on the cuff (not always worn, as in this photo) and the sleeve chevrons.

Chip

Hi,

Thanks for the information, I have seen the double cuff braids similar to a WWII "Der Speiss", but never have seen chevrons like those pictured.

Regards,

sam