News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 8 months later...

I have a named item to a man who I think was a reserve officer captured in South West Africa in 1915... Is there a roll with the men out there somewhere?

I also have a list of all officers and men captured at Gibeon in 1915 if it is of interest to anyone.

Best

Chris

Hello Chris.

As you are most likely aware of, the "Ranglisten" list the regular ( aktive) officers only. A good reference in that regard is the two volume

"Ehren-Rangliste des ehemaligen Deutschen Heeres

Auf Grund der Ranglisten von 1914 mit den inzwischen eingetretenen Veraenderungen "

It lists any known changes such as deaths, promotions, last rank and similar up to 1926 .

B.T.W. you may know that v. Hadeln is listed as Hptm. a.D.

The book "Die Deutsche Schutztruppe 1889/1918" by Werner Haupt ( Doerfler Zeitgeschichte, n.y. ISBN 3-89555-032-9) contains some OoB down to company level but for DSWA only to battailion level. For DOA more extensive ones (to coy level). This is a nice comprehensive overview and includes allied OoB information to some extent.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hi,

I am guessing that Storck was something other than a regular officer. He was still kept as a prisonner months after regular ones were released.

Oblt. Von Hadeln however, from the other thread, was commander of the "Abteilung Hadeln" which seems to have been an Aufkl?rungs unit.

Von hadeln probably retired as Hauptmann, but in 36 he was "Major a.D." According to a zerox of his wound badge doc.

best

Chris

Hello Chris Boonzaier,

are you sure that the reserve officer was called STORCK and not STARCK??? I couldn?t find a person with the name STORCK ! But I find a Lieutenant of the reserve STARCK !

By the way, here is a Link to a list of officers who surrenderd after the end of the war in Southwest or died in that campaign! I hope the link works.

http://www.traditionsverband.de/download/pdf/off_ueliste.pdf

There you can find STARCK under the number 058 of the reserve officers

All the best

Leutwein

Hello Chris Boonzaier,

are you sure that the reserve officer was called STORCK and not STARCK??? I couldn?t find a person with the name STORCK ! But I find a Lieutenant of the reserve STARCK !

By the way, here is a Link to a list of officers who surrenderd after the end of the war in Southwest or died in that campaign! I hope the link works.

http://www.traditionsverband.de/download/pdf/off_ueliste.pdf

There you can find STARCK under the number 058 of the reserve officers

All the best

Leutwein

Hi,

Its very definately "Storck" and he was held until 1919... makes me think he was interned for "other" reasons... maybe a spy? He was imprisoned in South Africa, not in the camps on your links.

Interesting, from your link von hadeln was one of the very few who were conditionally released...

he was wounded, but if this was in DSWA or as a freikorps man I have no idea.