News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Arab Daggers?

erichjr

Hi,

The first one is Arabian - known as a "dharia" probably from the south west of what is now Saudi Arabia. The second dagger is Morrocan.

With regard to value not I suspect a vast amount as both are relatively common place.

Regards, Owain.

Hi,

The second dagger is Morrocan.

Hi,

The Morrocan ones usually have imported blades from Germany or England or France...

There are huuuuge differences in quality, when I was in Morroco last time I saw lots of them. many for tourists, a small number of real ones... but only one really turned my handle. Was too expensive though.....

best

Chris

The first one looks to be of a better quality than the Moroccan one. The blade looks to have been forged - whereas the Moroccan one seems to have corrosion and is not as good. They are all fairly common - I would suspect around Sterling 60 to 100 ($100 - 160) pounds for the first and for the Moroccan - about sterling 50 pounds ($60/65). Please remember, that when we give an approximate price - it is just that, a guide. Our estimates could be quite different in other Countries - so, always make your own enquiries.

The first weapon is what I believe collectors term a 'Wahhabi jambiya' a type of jambiya originating in the Asir, Hejaz, Nejd (generally the South, West and Central Saudi Arabia and Yemen border) and so-called after its use by the followers of Muhammed ibn Abdul Wahhab from the C18th onwards. Locally they are known by vernacular names ('sabak', 'sabiaki', etc). Seen some go for sale in internet for 450 USD and upwards, depending on age and quality.

The second dagger is a Moroccan koummya. These weapons are interesting in that aspects of their design are intended to ward off the evil eye. The curved blade imitates the curved boar's tusk, an animal that responds aggressively if threatened. The commonly seen fretwork on the scabbard is often made so that it creates eye-like gaps and crosses with five points, corresponding the five fingers on the protective Hand of Fatimah. The belt holes look very 'fresh' which suggests the dagger has not been well used. On historical examples, these holes are often worn quite large and uneven by the baldric. As Mervyn pointed out, the blade does not seem in as good shape as the first example. Also, is the scabbard fully decorated on one side or both? If both, it is more likely to be a later, 'souvenir' item as many authentic koummya scabbards were only fully decorated on the side 'on show' to the world when the weapon was sheathed at the hip.

Sword Forum International (www.swordforum.com) are bound to have a thread or two on these types of weapons so might be worth checking that out. Plenty of info on koummyas on the web. For Arabian weapons, try Robert Elgood's very good book 'Arms and Armour of Arabia in the C18th-20th' - if you don't want to buy it, you can probably read snippets via keyword searches on Google books. May not help you with valuations but will give you some historical background if you desire it.

Helen