News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Freikorps Ehrhardt Truppen-Ausweis

• 2 months later...

Very interesting! I think it is a normal Reichsmarine Ausweiss to an ex member of Ehrhardt. The Freikorps was disolved in April 1920 and some elements transfered to the navy. From the photo I would guess that he had been in the Freikorps from the beginning of 1919. I think the Verdienst badge (on the pocket) was given to those who had served a year in the Brigade as opposed to the members arm badge.

I think it was just as pictured, with no flap.

best

Chris

• 1 month later...

Mario,

To respond to your original question, this is likely incomplete. Typically there would be at least a pasteboard cover to keep the item from getting beat up.

The Ehrhardt group was "theoretically dissolved" in May 1920 as Robert G. L. Waite put it. Their support of the Kapp putsch and subsequent excesses in the suppression of the Berlin Communists made them an unstable and hostile companion for the government. Ehrhardt and a cadre of officers high tailed it to Bavaria where they hid out and formed Organization Consul and the death squads of the Feme. The fellow in this document looks to have headed to another unit, as he's sporting the insignia of the Garde-Kavallerie-Schutzen-Division. One other subtle clue is suggestive: the rubber stamps employ an eagle with a crown. It was very common for freebooter units to continue to use stamps left over from the recently ended war. However, the postwar government was intent on distancing itself from the former monarchy and worker hard to erase any heraldic use of the old red-white-black colors and the Kaiser''s crown. So this looks less likely to be a Reichsmarine item. Again, not absolute but suggestive.

The Ehrhardt badge was for ten months service.