News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Observer Badge

Hi Darrell,

As per the other forum - a copy & paste!;

The badge appears genuine however it also appears to have suffered some serious damage in the form of a very bad "knock" which is very evident on the reverse right hand side of the wreath. The central enameled square is either a repair or imo more likely to be a total replacement (it may not even be a genuine replacement) - you can clearly see that there are no "lugs" holding it onto the reverse and it does not fit onto the bent obverse correctly. Also, the silvering on the edges of the enamel disc is imo a plating, not solid silver as per original squares. The catch appears to have been worked on as well - possibly broken and replaced, possibly only the tip broken off and the remainder bent over. Bottom line for me, genuine (unless dimensions indicate otherwise) but damaged and probably messed with. Imo it should not command anywhere near the price of an undamaged example.

Regards

Mike

Guest Darrell

The central enameled square is either a repair or imo more likely to be a total replacement (it may not even be a genuine replacement) - you can clearly see that there are no "lugs" holding it onto the reverse and it does not fit onto the bent obverse correctly.

Regards

Mike

Is that what's missing on the reverse where there appears to be holes?

Hi Darrell,

Yes. Here's an example of one I used to own. Not the best example to show as the lower lug has been repaired with superglue (you can see the split in the metal at the bend) but you should get the general idea.

Regards

Mike

It looks like a good-un to me. Is it from Thomas Huss? If so, I would feel secure about it. Thomas sells nice original stuff.

He had a salty Prussian Pilot's Badge a year or so ago with pin damage and repair. It was not mint, but had that "been there" character to it.

I bought a nice HG Division Soldbuch from him last year. When I opened the package, there were 50 plus personal photos out of an album of a Heer Signals soldier, taken in France and Russia. Lots of great shots of them standing in front of Foch's Statue, in Verdun, then their places in the East. Sadly, lots of Graves with the EK Head Markers we have all seen.

You see, I had remarked to Thomas that my 10 year old was a budding collector, and was interested in TR. Thomas threw the photos in for Sam as a surprise. You have to like a Dealer like Thomas.

Guest Darrell

Is it from Thomas Huss? If so, I would feel secure about it. Thomas sells nice original stuff.

Yes it is. Thomas is a good guy and I've dealt with him before :cheers: