News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My First Pakistani 3 Medal Bar Find in Romania.

Kev in Deva

My first Pakistani Military Medal bar:-

Left to Right:-

1. General Service Medal / Tamgha-e-Diffa, 1947

2. Nuclear Test Medal, 1998 / Tamgha-e-Baqa, A.H.1418.

3. Independence Day Golden Jubilee Medal, 2006.

After finding out what number 2 is for maybe I should see if they glow in the dark! lol!

Kevin in Deva.

Edited by Kev in Deva

I'll jump on the bandwagon.

Whilst researching medals on the internet I found myself constantly on this site & on the South Asia part. So I ended up obtaining some medals & mounting them. Fantastic site, excellent pictures & information.

Thank You Gentlemen.

Hi Peter. Yeah the group came together quite well, it took a while to understand how they are mounted. Using only a 6" length of ribbon & the back board height is determined by the longest medal shortest ribbon, so creating a total medal ribbon length of 120 mm. (semi court mounted)

As for any info on its origins, unfortunately all singles/ebay.

I'm contemplating putting together 3 groups of the 17 most common, war/campaign long service & anniversary medals including 3 british medals.

1st group 40's & 50's (group of 6)

2nd group 60's & 70's (group of 6)

3rd group as above (group of 8)

Then frame them. Display only

Paul.

Hello Everyone,

While the order is incorrect there is a positive side to this. Throw-together groups are not considered a proper thing to do, among serious collectors. However, in this case years from now, this one is not likely going to be confused with an authentic group. It's always better to puchase a real group that has the ribbons in unsalvagable condition and then remount them. Even though the intent is to frame the above shown group as a "display only" it would be better to mount each one in a court mount style and display them as individual specimens in the same display frame and not as a mounted group.

Regards

Brian

I have to agree with Brian. I understand the desire to have even 'sample' groups but down the road someone other than the person who made it up may well sell it, unwittingly or not, as a pukka 'group' Especially true of unnamed medals obviously.

When I collected to the Indian Army, pre-'47, it was common for 'pickers' in India to buy large groups for the silver value and throw away the bronze medals. I had a group to a British officer of Indian Cavalry who was missing the VM and I succumbed to the temptation to add a place holder, then framed the group with some badges. Years later I sold it off to a dealer, having totally forgotten that it wasn't a real group. :blush: He turned it around in 48 hours but then phoned in a panic to ask me not to cash his check because the new owner was, understandably, enraged at being sold a pup. :violent:

The good news was: we were able to convince the new owner it was an honest error. The bad news was: I never did get paid again by the dealer. :angry: A cautionary tale!