News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Third Reich Sword - help with ident. and value please

Third Reich Parade Sword.

A friend of mine brought in this Third Reich period sword that his late father brought back from WWII. He’s not sure if he wants to keep it or not and since it has been years since I purchased any German swords I have no idea of the value

There is light pitting all along blued steel scabbard and quite deep rusted areas along the six inches of the blade just above the hand guard. I’ve seen this many times with swords brought back from the wars and then stored in the closet for decades.

Any help with the identification and value would be appreciated. I’m looking for a value between dealer’s table-price and wholesale so that if he decides to sell I can make him an offer fair to both of us.

I’ve tried to show the manufacturer’s mark in the last photo.

Thanks again for any assistance you can give me.

Regards

Brian

A shot of the front of the knuckel bow and the manufacturer's trade mark, which is fairly common.

I've always said that value was secondary to me but in this case I don't want to cheat a friend or pay twice what it is worth out of my own ignorance. This fellow and I haunt gunshows together so a fair offer is even more importantfor both of us.

Regards and thanks again.

Brian

• 5 months later...

Hi Brian

I bought one in 2007 that is almost identical to yours except for a lions head on the hilt. It was sold to me as an Army Officer's sword and the blank panel behind the eagle is engraved with what I understand are the owner's initials (which was presumably the purpose of the blank panel!) The blade on mine is clean and marked "Alcoso - Solingen" whereas I see yours has some signs of distress. Mine is also missing the 'cork washer' that would have sat where the hilt goes into the sheath.

I paid £380 for my one 6 years ago.

JM

Edited by Staff Sgt Jock MacSplock

Hi JM,

Thanks for the reply. I ended up lending the fellow's son some cash to purchase a pistol and then took the sword as payment shortly after, so now it resides with me.

The leather washer you mentioned is also missing on mine and I've found that this is often the reason moisture enters the scabbard and causes the damage such as on the one I have.

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian

Hello Brian

It is an "Eickhorn" made sword, according top the style of the makers mark it was made between 1933 and 1935.

Indeed, a very early example of the "Wrangel" (Model Nr. 1693) Army saber, with "dove" pattern pommel, by Carl Eickhorn.

It would seem that Eickhorn used two dies during the production run of this model. Early examples show the eagle on the langet with its head facing to its left...later examples have the eagle's head pointing to the right.

Thank you Larry and John for your replies and the added information.

I actually really like this sword but I must resist starting a new thread in my collection. Oh to be young once again with time, if not money, to burn.

Regards

Brian