News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Württemberg Armee Korps Documents

This one is hard to explain, also a 1916 doc for a 1915 award... but the man seems to have been in the 2nd garde reserve Regt at the time of the award... an anamolly...

From what I can tell, the 1. Garde-Reserve-Division was in the reserve of the 6.Armee from 5 October 1915 to 8 May 1916, and then went into the line in Flanders. XIII.Armeekorps had been transferred to Flanders in December 1915, so the division must have been attached to the corps in June when the award was made.

Uffz. Martin Günster was wounded later in 1916, apparently in the Battle of the Somme. He was born on 30 December 1888 in Laudert, Landkreis St. Goar.

There are a number of variations on these... They seem to have appeared in early 1916, backdated for earlier awards... like this October 1914 award.... Armeekorps Level Doument

It would appear that Friedrich Forschner never saw his award. He was reported as missing in action in October 1914, probably on the date given on this award. In July 1916, the French reported that he had been killed.

It would appear that Friedrich Forschner never saw his award. He was reported as missing in action in October 1914, probably on the date given on this award. In July 1916, the French reported that he had been killed.

Thats really interesting. The Korps seems to have been following a couple of others who did not issue docs until orders were given to do so at the beginning of 1916. I assume he got an EK, Went missing/Died and the doc was automatically issued from a list in 1916 and sent to the family.

Thanks for the info!

From what I can tell, the 1. Garde-Reserve-Division was in the reserve of the 6.Armee from 5 October 1915 to 8 May 1916, and then went into the line in Flanders. XIII.Armeekorps had been transferred to Flanders in December 1915, so the division must have been attached to the corps in June when the award was made.

Thats possible... I have to dig a bit and see what i find....

An EK1 to a Lt d. Res. from October 1917, also Armeekorps level...

Lt.d.R. Karl Krauß from GR 123 was fairly well-decorated. Besides the EK1 & EK2, he received the Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross 1st and 2nd Class, the Württemberg Golden Military Merit Medal, and the Württemberg Military Merit Order in place of his Golden Military Merit Medal.

There was a Lt.d.R. Karl Krauß, born on 26 October 1892 in Heilbronn, who was lightly wounded in November 1915 with 3./RIR 122 and severely wounded and taken prisoner in late 1918 with 3.MGK/IR 413, both Württemberg regiments. The only other Karl Krauß I can find in the Württemberg Army was a pioneer officer (PB 13 and GdResPionR), so this Heilbronn-born infantry officer is probably your man.