News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British SBR Gasmaskbag Waring&Gillow.Ltd 1917

Hello!My Name is Philipp,Im from Germany!

I´m Interessted and collect Imperial Fieldgrey Equipment,Hats,Helmet,and uniform´s!

So,this is my first tread and id like to show my newest Fleamarket find from Today,

A British SBR Gasmaskbag WW1!

Marked Warring&Gillow Ltd 1917

Owner of the Bag was a Major Named E.K.B. Furze!

Have anyone here informations about this Major Furze!

Thanks RIR80

Edited by RIR80

• 1 year later...

Hi Philip, 

Bit of a long shot given how long ago this was posted but I though I would see if you still held this bag? 

Maj (later Brigadier) Edward Keith Byrne Furze was my Great-grandfather and was wounded and captured (reported KIA) on May 27th 1918 whilst an acting Lt Colonel commanding a regiment of the Wiltshire regiment. 

He was - and we are ever grateful for it - however alive and saved by the German soldiers pursuing his retreating Regiment and eventually taken back to have his severe wounds treated at a Hospital: 'Reserve Lazarett, Shiller Schule in Wurzburg (Bayern)'. 

His kit was left on the field where he fell wounded and this was no doubt recovered by a German soldier - this will be how it made its way to Germany for you to find almost 100 years later! 

If you have any information on the bag I would really appreciate it, if not I just wanted to give you a brief history of it's old owner and the kindness with which he was treated by the German soldiers who, only moments before, had seen him as an enemy and yet saved his life and ultimately are the reason I and my family still exist today. 

All the best, 

Ben