News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some pics, you might enjoy...

Hello everyone,

does anyone of you know this book? Title is "Der Krieg gegen Frankreich 1870-71" and its printed 1895. Its about the war 1870/71 and describes very detailed, what happened. There are some very nice prints and i though, the members here maybe enjoy it to take a look. First, the book cover:

Gerd,

Nice images, I have a history of the Bavarian Corps during the 1870 war. Now I am writing this at work so I don't have the book to hand and I have not looked at it in years so the title and the exact content elude me!! there are however super maps etc. Will dig it out when I return home tonight and scan some images.

Strangely I picked it up in a flea market in Budapest of all places-I was living in upper Bavaria at the time!!

Hi Stephen,

i found this one on a fleamarket too. Its not my field of interest mainly, but it wasn?t expensive, so i took the opportunity. There are maps in this one also and for someone, who is interested in the war 1870/71, it could be a very nice research-source. If someone is interested to trade it against Soviet Medals, Documents, reference-books, send me a pm.

Her is the imprinted EK 1870 on the reverse of the cover:

Look forward to the pictures.

Gerd

Gerd,

What a fool, old age is taking it's toll. The book mentioned earlier is in fact a a history of the 15 Bavarian Infantry Regiment, That said it is quite extraordinary in that the contents, which are as you will imagine exhaustive are supplemented by some additions by the owner. These include a letter and a paper cutting from the local Kaufbeuren paper dated 5 November 1870.

There are also two beautiful maps in A3 and all the usual stuff. The scans are not the best because I rushed it! As you said earlier it's not really my thing but to an aficionado of the period/campaign it would be a find.

Edited by stephen

Gerd and Stephen, could you give the authors? They look loke they would both be worth a search. I imagine the marinalia and letters would b e hard to find, though :cheeky:

Gerd and Stephen, could you give the authors? They look loke they would both be worth a search. I imagine the marinalia and letters would b e hard to find, though :cheeky:

Tom,

My contribution is a history of the 15th during the Franco Prussian war and I would presume, as no named person is credited, it is the work of that regiment.

Edited by stephen

Tom,

My contribution is a history of the 15th dring the Franco Prussian war and I would presume, as no named person is credited, it is the work of that regiment.

Thanks, Stephen. I'm anxious to know the title. There were 9500 +

hits for "Bayerische" at Abebooks :o

Tom & Stephen,

a couple of copies at zvab.de. Expensive though! Full title:

Geschichte des k?niglich bayrischen 15. Infanterie-Regiments K?nig Johann von Sachsen im Feldzuge 1870/71 gegen Frankreich

Regards

Glenn