News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

victorian naval uniform ?

I have my doubts. I suppose it's possible that the greatcoat could be for a purser or, similar rank I think they did use a twist

shoulder. However, the cut-away looks rather made-up and I don't think the 'L' shaped braid on the sleeve was a pattern.

Also, I'm not aware that any Naval officer wore the fore and aft cocked hat of this size - particularly not with the feathers. Mervyn

Kev - the Japanese only copied the hats and uniforms that the West wore. They were a closed society until the 1860's when the US Expedition threatened to shell them if they didn't open-up to trade. Until the beginning of the 19th C most officer's wore a tricorne

hat - that is one with three corners. This gradually became a two sided one known as a Bi-corne and was worn sideways. Later,it

was worn fore and aft (with the pointy bits to front and back.)

Lieutenants in the RN wore bi-cornes - but no feathers. Military officers in Britain, tended to have the feathers rise-up as an upright

cockade. I have seen Mayors wear these ellaborate feather tops - but, I think it more likely that this is Foreign. Perhaps the

entire uniform is ? Best wishes Mervyn

• 2 weeks later...

Regency period brigadier generals wore similar feathers but also wore the hat cross ways, not fore and aft and looked, IMHO, quite silly! I made a comment on a friend's hat anent 'maribou' and was informed frostily that it was ostrich and that 'strippers wear maribou.' Mind, he only wore the hat one season and reverted to another pattern, so I suspect he wasn't enthralled with the look either.

I'd have to agree however, that the coats are not naval and may well be made up. The 'L' lacing is definitely odd and not a pattern I've seen on British uniforms before. The collar and frogging on the frock coat are not right for any period I can think of - not that that proves much - but the whole thing has a theatrical look to me. Or possibly something exotic and foreign.

Edited by peter monahan

I have no idea as to the overcoat but I think, in the tailcoat, we may be seeing an earlier version of the uniform on the right of the image, below, which Tennants the auctioneers describe as,

A George V British Diplomat's Dress Uniform, comprising a black silk bicorn hat with ostrich feather trim, a single breasted tail coat with gold lace trimmed stand-up collar, cuffs, pocket and back facings

Source: http://www.tennants.co.uk/Catalogue/Lots/151759.aspx

Edited by Trooper_D

Trooper_D - to me it looks as if there is a different style to the cut away jacket or, frock coat. I am sure the one you show is Diplomatic

however, I don't think that applies to the original photo. You have to remember that these frock coats with tails were very common - even the original police in 1829 wore them. Perhaps the one shown at the top is an original that has been messed around with - I'm afraid I am still suspect for both of them. Mervyn