News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Queen's South Africa Campaign Medal

Hello.

I have recently acquired my first British campaign medal and I was pleasantly surprised by the workmanship present in every aspect i.e. suspension, quality of ribbon and bars and of course the medal itself.

The rim lists " 8718 Pte Grindley Scots Gds". The latter was clarified on this forum to gds upon my request for clarification sometime back of the transcribed "Cds" given by the seller.

This purchase would certainly motivate further acquisitions should they come my way.

Bernhard H. Holst

4731.thumb.jpg.ef729aad2bed1c3b0349e978e4731_2.thumb.jpg.039c221b775f59ad51f95b74731_3.thumb.jpg.d94d565ea508a040365dcf0

You have been bitten by the Queen's South Africa Medal Bug.......

Welcome......

I have been fighting this loosing battle for over 40 years now......

Take a look at this........

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE
    Add file,,,,,,,,

Hello Mike.

I have admired your collection from afar. I do not have much time left to add to so far my single item.

But perhaps something comes my way??

P.S. I have previously received an Imperial Service Medal in a Royal Mint case and am impressed with the quality of the medal and the case. Nothing cheap there either.

Bernhard H. Holst

Good Morning Bernhard.....

Thankyou for your kind comment...... It can be addictive......  The British have always used fancy boxes for their higher awards and yet simple boxes and envelopes for their campaign medals.....

The  only exception at one time was the highest award the Victoria Cross was given out in a rather plain box as it was stated that they did not want the box to take away anything from its contents.....

Not to take anything away from this forum take a look at :   http://www.angloboerwar.com

Mike

Hello Mike.

Thank you for the link.

My understanding of the Anglo-Boer War was shaped early on by the pre-1945 German sourced descriptions of this conflict which was of course pro-Boer. I have somewhere in the wreck of my "library" Pakenham's ( ? ) history of the war. I recall in particular also a movie "Ohm Krueger", very anti-British propaganda.

Bernhard H. Holst

Bernhard,

The marvellous thing about the QSA is that with the exception of the Defence of Mafeking  and Wepener claps all the others are available for under 500 euros, most for much less and so it is a relatively inexpensive form of collecting for named and researchable medals.

Paul