News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

GCVO to Prince (later King) Hussein of Jordan

Let's start slowly - Here's the box it came in.  

UK 00 - GCVO - Box.JPG

UK 00 - GCVO - Box interior.JPG

UK 00 - GCVO - Garrard imprint.JPG

And next, the insignia themselves

UK 00 - GCVO - Set in box.JPG

UK 00 - GCVO - Set.JPG

I carefully rotated all these pictures to get them right side up, but they are defying me.  

UK 00 - GCVO - Badge.JPG

UK 00 - GCVO - Badge reverse.JPG

Serial number 861, which accords with the presentation letter which was still in the box. 

UK 00 - GCVO - Badge serial 861.JPG

UK 00 - GCVO - Breast star w. serial 861.JPG

And the star

UK 00 - GCVO - Breast star obverse.JPG

UK 00 - GCVO - Breast star reverse.JPG

And the documents

UK 00 - GCVO Documents.pdf

UK 00 - GCVO Documents.pdf

Edited by Hugh

Hugh, Excellent stuff, but this isn't to King Hussein, who became king in 1952, but I believe to one of his relatives Hussein Bin Nasser - son of his Great Grandfather Hussein King of Hijaz 's brother and who was Prime Minister of Jordan twice during the 1960's. (I think!?) A really great set with provenance. Regards, Owain

Hugh, Excellent stuff, but this isn't to King Hussein, who became king in 1952, but I believe to one of his relatives Hussein Bin Nasser - son of his Great Grandfather Hussein King of Hijaz 's brother and who was Prime Minister of Jordan twice during the 1960's. (I think!?) A really great set with provenance. Regards, Owain

Aha!  I was hoping you'd see this.  Now that I think about it , of course this is too late for the King.  The set was a gift, so it's not as though I paid too much for a mistaken attribution.  

When you say "son of his Great Grandfather...", I assume you mean son of King Hussein's Great Grandfather - correct?  

Thanks for you insight, and thanks to Brett and Bernhard for comments.  

Best,

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

There was some royal related Jordanian material turned up a few years ago, including a Malaysian collar set and a Taiwanese high ranking order amongst other things which were being touted around by some somewhat disreputable Jordanian jewellers. How they go their hands on them I know not.

Paul

Hugh,

Nice gift! See below:

King Hussain* of Hijaz > King Abdullah of Jordan > King Talal > King Hussain

*His brother - Emir (Prince) Nasser > Husain bin Nasser

Thus I think he was King Hussain of Jordan's 1st cousin twice removed.

The title Sharif (or noble) indicates descent from the Prophet Mohammed.

Regards,

Owain

1 hour ago, peter monahan said:

Nasty flashy thing, Hugh.  You probably want to re-gift it to some deserving type.  Right? ;)

Lovely.  Thank you for sharing it.

Peter

Yes, gaudy and immodest in the extreme.  Still, there is something about it...  I could grow to love it over time.  

H

Yes, I understand.  The only enamelled order I ever owned was a Roumanian Order of the Crown awarded to an offcier of Indian cavalry for WWI service.  Or, according to his brother officers, trotted round by the embassy and given him as a consolation prize for not getting an MC.  Nveretheless, I became very fond of the shiny, gaudy trinket and wept immodestly when forced to let it go.  :)

He was married to King Hussein‘s grand aunt.

Bio details from http://www.royalark.net/Arabia/mecca4.htm

H.H. Prince Hussein bin Nasser Bey, GCVO (19.7.1966). b. at Taif, Arabia, 30th November 1902 (sixth son of H.H. Prince Nasser bin Ali Pasha, by his second wife, Perendis Khanum), educ. Istanbul Law Coll. Entered Iraq govt service, Private Sec to King Faisal I 1929-1935, attaché Iraqi legation at Ankara 1935-1938, Assist Chief of Protocol at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs 1938-1942, Assist Chief of the Royal Household 1944-1946, Consul-Gen. at Jerusalem and chargé d’Affaires at Amman 1946-1948, transf to Jordanian Foreign Service 1948, Envoy Ext & Minister Plenipotentiary to Turkey 1949-1950, Minister Paris 1950-1951, Jordanian Ambassador to Spain 1953-1961, Lord Chamberlain 1961-1963, 1964-1967, and 1967-1974, Minister of the Royal Court 1963-1964, Prime Minister 1963-1964 and 1967, Senator of the Kingdom of Jordan 1963-1964, 1969-1974. Granted the personal title of Prince (Amir) with the style of His Highness by King Abdullah I of Jordan. Rcvd: GC of the Orders of the Renaissance (special class), Independence, and Star of Jordan, Isabel the Catholic (12.12.1961) and Civil Merit (3.6.1955) of Spain, Christ of Portugal, Merit of the Republic of Italy (31.8.1963), George I of Greece, Defender of the Realm of Malaysia (SMN) (24.4.1965), Star of China, and the Cedars of Lebanon, the Orders of the Two Rivers 1st class of Iraq, Humayun 1st class of Iran, etc. m. at Amman, 1943, H.R.H. Princess Maqbula (b. at Mecca, 6th February 1921; d. at Amman, 1st January 2001), third daughter of H.M. Abdullah I, King of Jordan, GCMG, GBE, by his second wife, H.H. Princess Suzdil. He d. at Amman, Jordan, 1st May 1982.

Edited by James Hoard

Information like this is a reminder of how greatly we are privileged to belong to a company of ladies and gentlemen with such a breadth and depth of knowledge and such generosity of spirit to share it so willingly with the uninformed.  Many thanks, James.