News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal mounting

Not sure what the regs are on UK medals thse days, but I don't believe it is 'wrong' to overlap medals.  That said, if I were going to go that route I'd overlap all of them just a touch, as you've done with your last gong, for symmetry.  I'm sure the MOD and British legion have protocols for this, but I tend to use the 'eyeball rule' - does it look OK?

My tuppence worth. :)

Steve, have just checked my medals and I see what you mean now, I have the same issue with my Iraq & GSM medals. Can't see anyway round it, other than to wait until I get my LSGC ;) and then I'll be able to have the 6 medal overlap mounting....alternatively just push them apart gently seems to do the trick, without having to remount them all. To be honest it'll be kinder on our pockets just to live with it....

Quick Google search, appears we're not alone......................

2.jpg

1.jpg

My Question has nothing to do with the actual mounting, however, I am rather confused about the order the medals are mounted. It seems to be somewhat random. A NATO medal in first place in the second bar, and last in the 3rd bar. Surely, they cannot both be correct. 

8 hours ago, Jerry T said:

My Question has nothing to do with the actual mounting, however, I am rather confused about the order the medals are mounted. It seems to be somewhat random. A NATO medal in first place in the second bar, and last in the 3rd bar. Surely, they cannot both be correct. 

Campaign medals are mounted in the order they are earned. It's only foreign awards that are mounted last. 

• 1 year later...

If a specific campaign medal was issued (such as OSM Afghanistan or Iraq Medal), then NATO medals awarded for the same campaign are not authorised for wear. On the other hand - when NATO medals are issued to British servicemen and servicewomen for campaigns for which there was no MoD authorised and issued medal (GSM/CSM/OSM etc), then the NATO medal is worn in order of campaign and not treated as a foreign award. Ditto UN medals.

For Australians however, the rule is reversed: All government issue orders, decorations and medals take precedence over foreign/UN/NATO awards, which (if authorised for unrestricted wear), are mounted in order of receipt.

Steve; as for bar suspension and vs suspension, that's just the way the chips fall I'm afraid. One more and they'd all have had to overlap (perhaps you'll be in line for an MBE one day soon). It is an impressive rack and there's no need to fiddle with it. The Accumulated Campaign Service Medal and Naval LSGC suspender bars overlap because they have no alternative.

Edited by Binky