News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unusual Box for order of Takovo

Very interesting piece obi, it could be a custom ordered Takovo that was placed in the producer's own box. It looks good from all initial observations but the only thing that concerns me a little is the stamping of the lettering, the top looks ok but the bottom looks more deeply stamped in and crooked. 

If it was a good price I think I may have gone for it too, sometimes we miss a good piece and an excellent one shows up later so I'm hoping that you will find something even better in the future :)

I think that box was used for order made V. Mayer's Söhne. First thing I noticed was the coat of arms, it's from principality era so the box must have been made somewhere between 1877-1882. In that period there were 3 main producers Rothe, VMC and later Fürst. I compared the coat of arms with the one seen on boxes made by Rothe and Fürst and it's different. Then I compared it with the coat of arms seen on the octagonal box made by VMC from Car/Muhić book (general Belimarković's star came in it) and it looks pretty much the same. Next to photo is written that separately ordered stars were delivered in octagonal boxes on top of which names of orders and similar information were inscribed, I presume that was the case with the rest of the classes too. If you take a look at other boxes of that producer you'll notice a big variety.
    I could be wrong but all things considered I think there's a big probability the box was made VMC (if that producer made it's own boxes).

One more detail caught my attention, inscription says "ВЕЛИКИ ОФИЦИРСКИ КРСТ" meaning Grand Officer Cross (2nd class) but the box is obviously for Commander (3rd class)...

Edited by paja