News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all. Just a quick one... getting ready to head into the gulag... tonight and tomorrow night then three blessed days off! Can't wait.

This is a photo of a friends great grandfather. Trying to get more info but he has to contact family members, etc. For now, just have his name: Edmund Jacob, and this photo. I'm praying some of you can give us some info based on the uniform, insignia, etc. Assuming it's early war or pre war due to the numbers showing on the pickelhaube cover, and I think the shoulder boards. Wish we could see details on the belt buckle as I know that would help. Plus if in color a lot could be learned from the colors of the numbers (regiment?) and portepee. Anyhow, I'm hoping some of ya'll can put the pieces together and come up with something... anything would be a big help. He just wants to know more of his family history and he's very interested. He's a U.S. army vet, a great guy and a good friend. So hoping I can help him out.

Many thanks in advance! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Edmund Jacob 1.JPG

Edmund Jacob 2.JPG

It would help to know where he was from. Looks like he has a pioneer long shovel, so he could be from Pionier Batl. Nr.14, which was a Baden unit. He doesn't have the typical pioneer style ammo pouches. They are an pre-1909 pattern usually issued to second line troops (Landwehr or Landsturm for instance). This is a wartime photo as evidenced by his transitional (simplified) M1907/13 tunic. So, the photo is most likely from 1915 or 1916 (at the latest), due to his wearing of the Pickelhaube with the unit number still evident.

Chip

Hi Dan,
    you also have the backside (maybe there is something written or there are postmarks or a photographers name, …)?
    In which town or region the person was living during the First World War?
    Best regards,
    Jens

http://des.genealogy.net/eingabe-verlustlisten/search

addition: and we need a better close-up frome the helmetcover and the shoulderboard.

Edited by KIR