News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

miniature Legion d"honneur 3rd Republic

LaurensV

I have a miniature Legion d'Honneur cross that has been identified as a "legion model from the 3rd Republic from 1870 to 1940".  This identification was provided by the Grande Chancellerie de la Legion d'Honneur, who also provided the name of the recipient and the level of the award "Chevalier".  Unfortunately, there were some language barriers when I was communicating with the Chancellerie and I am not certain that I received a full explanation about the medal.

For example, Chevalier medals are usually silver, where this one is gilt. Also, the 5th level medals are not usually embellished with diamonds, as this one is.  Is this perhaps a 4th level medal "Officier" instead?

The medal is in it's original satin-lined leather box which carries the trade name of "Boullanger" and the address "5, rue Daunou, Paris".

I would appreciate any insight you might have. I have attached photos.legion dhonneur 2.jpglegion dhonneur 3.jpglegion dhonneur 1.jpg

Thanks,

Hi Laurens,

Your Miniature is Officer Class from the Third French Republic -from 1870 till the end of WW2.

Sometime those Miniatures do not come with a rosettes for Officer, simply because they are so called" luxury Miniatures" and are made by order by the recipient to show some kind of social status.

The standard Miniatures from this Period for Officer Class  were made from gilded silver NO Diamonds.

Your Miniature is such one -made of 18 Karat Gold and two Real Diamonds 

The material and the number of Diamonds can be different, depends how much the owner wants to pay.

If you are collector do not stress too much about the ribbon with the rosette.

I have seen even higher classes without  the matching rosette.

Here are some similar Miniatures as you see I have two of my Miniatures without rosettes.

The last one could be a Commander Class because is made from Gold and Platinum and as you see has multiple diamonds and other stones --but No rosette.

Graf

Medals 199.jpg

Picture 451.jpg

Medals 200.jpg

Medals 043.jpg

Hi Laurens,

I also forget to tell you that "luxury" miniature do exist in all classes iccluding in silver as well -for the 5th -Knight Class (Chevalier) The trend started from the very beginning up to the 4th Republic included.

I have not seen any from now days in this "luxury" model

Again there are made by order to show some kind of social status ....and deep pockets

How did you get information regarding the recipient?

Hi Paul I did not get what did you mean  with your message

Graf

Pic067.JPG