News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Manchester Artillery Saber tache

According to wikipedia: "The Lancashire Artillery Volunteers were first raised in 1859 as part of the Volunteer Force raised in response to threats of French Invasion.[1] A total of 23 Artillery companieswere raised initially. However, in Manchester, numerous units that would later form the Lancashire Artillery Gunners had existed from as early as 1804, when the Duke of Gloucester inspected the Heaton Artillery Volunteers before they were shipped off to the fronts of the Napoleonic Wars

The style is defineitely Voctrian and there are several for sale, including one which at a quick glance seems almost identical to the 5th Lancahsire Volunteer Artillery, described as 'officers, full dress' and found here: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/laidlaw-auctioneers-and-valuers/catalogue-id-srlai10004/lot-2a500189-2467-40e6-af43-a4250003ef87

If you google 'Victorian volunteer sabretache' you'll find a number of examples, including a Pintrist page with at least a dozen.  Sorry, I'cvwe no idea of value but not cheap, i shouldn't think.  Perhaps the sale at the auction house will help, if they publish their prices realized.

Please forgive the cynic in me, but doesn't the leather look to be in remarkably good condition for an article which is ~ 120-150 years old?  The lining also looks very good.  I understand that I'm only looking at photographs, and perhaps in the hand one might get a different impression.  

With respect,

Hugh

I must confess I hadn't considered that angle, Hugh.  Perhaps it is 'too new'.  OTOH, being full dress and for a Volunteer unit, perhaps it was worn infrequently and then treasured as a family relic.  I'm in no position to judge either way.  Provenance might be the key.