News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italian uniform

Dear Gents,

Would like to have any information on this uniform please. The man was a POW in Flanders end 1917 and 1918. Have been looking in books and on the net and I think the man wears a "Fatiche di Guerra) ribbon without a single star. This means one year front service.(?)

Does anyone knows the insignia worn under the ribbon? Could it be a POW number????It is also difficult to recognize the collar patches, as it depends on the colour.

I would be grateful for any help.

With kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

Steverlynck20015.jpgdetail.jpg.aebb48b2565859cb2259c50685448c68.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello : The soldier in the photo ,wears the : Distintivo per fatiche di guerra ,created in May of 1916 . it consisted in a ribbon with the national italian colours .Without star means less than a year of war . one star one year , two ,two years the maximum was four stars . The distintivo ceased in 1920 and was absorbed into the War medal . Its difficult to affirm at which branch of the ItalianArmy belonged the soldier . the mostrina of his collar is of the type used by the Artillery , and the Engineers . black in both cases with yellow piping the first and dark red in the case of the others . The Milizia territoriale of Infantry used the same type of mostrina in red and the Medical Corps also but in dark red colour . finally the Commisariat wears a medium blue one with black piping . If i am not wrong , the distintivo was mainly for soldiers serving into commands and intendenzas or mobilized to the war theatres of the Alps 

Thank You Bayern for your answer. I was wondering what the retangular insignia means under the Fatiche diguerra. His POW number?

Kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

Its my pleasure . Regarding to the rectangular insignia , its possible but i believe that the POW number , was not carried in this manner . if carried . The Italian Army weared a number of speciality badges some braided over cloth but all were carried on the sleeves .