News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

From today's score on the fleamarket. This photo seems quite interesting to me.

IPB Image

There are several persons who might be possible to be identified.

Start with the Navy Official (Reserve ?)

IPB Image

Next one seems to be the mayor of a town. What neck decoration ?

IPB Image

Guest Rick Research

:speechless1: That is indeed a Finnish Cross of Liberty 1st Class MILITARY 1918... to someone who was (from the rest of his decorations) NOT a career officer, but concerned with Red Cross/war effort duties. (Combatant Iron Cross and Hindenburg Cross, Prussian Red Cross Medals 2nd and 3rd Classes, what MIGHT be a Prussian Reserve-Landwehr Medal, then Saxon War Effort Cross and Hamburg Hanseatic Cross)

I will post you the number of that awarded by PM since we never want to encourage lazy dealers to raise their prices on us--

but suffice it to say that I am AMAZED that such a person could have received that grade!!!

If ever the Finns release the award rolls, he will certainly be the ONLY German from this background! :speechless1:

The Korvettenkapit?n is an (E) officer I believe-- the sleeve insignia was not worn for very long like that and given up before the war. I cannot identify him from just Iron Crosses and the 1918 Uboat badge.

Oh why didn't people write clues for us on back!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banger:

Nice one. I've never seen this 1st class recipient before. But then again, there was a lot of these weird foreign ministry and post-war instructor / general staff -type of guys who got it, most of them just because it was polite to give them something shiny. And then there were guys who actually did something for one, but it can be disputed if the class they got was really an appropriate one. Like GdI Friedrich Karmann here (picture shamelessly ripped off from another forum):

[attachmentid=38629]

See, that is a first class hanging around his neck. And it is a 1918 one, since he died in september '39. But in 1918 he was only a captain. Ia of Ostseedivision during the war, for sure, but still only a captain. :o Not a very likely recipient for a first class decoration, which at the time was practically the highest one that a German soldier could receive.

I will post you the number of that awarded by PM since we never want to encourage lazy dealers to raise their prices on us--

Them being lazy can also be a good thing..

If ever the Finns release the award rolls, he will certainly be the ONLY German from this background! :speechless1:

Soon, Mr. Research.. soon.. it won'be long now :rolleyes::ninja:

Pete

Let's say 1918, for starters, since that is in my main sphere of interest. It's just that I recently moved away from Helsinki, which also means away from the archives, and I don't want to pay them for the work I can do myself ("finding" the documents, copying and posting them.. that's expensive). Thus it'll have to wait until my summer vacation begins and I'll be able to visit there. And 1941-44 is under some serious planning too.

1939-1940 and especially 1944+ flow of crosses to Germans must have been pretty dry :P Even though, I know that at least Wolfgang von Hessen-Kassel (or "the crown prince of Finland") and Kurt Kuhlmey got their crosses in 1990's, but I think those were offically presented reissues for lost (or never issued) war-time ones.

Pete