News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

First, a private purchase KS98 by WKC. with some unusual features.[attachmentid=48299]

It's slotted, but the press stud is a dummy, with no catch or spring.[attachmentid=48300]

The fuller is quite narrow and the spine comes to an abrupt stop 2 1/4 inches from the tip.[attachmentid=48301]

There are traces of black paint on the hilt and the grips are pressed leather. Not really a dress bayonet, but not serviceable, either. Possibly a walking out piece for an NCO?

This one's a bit of an enigma. It looks like a German made contract bayonet. [attachmentid=48302]

No mm, but a Greek zeta and some barely legible numbers on the guard. The frog stud has what appears to be a S?tterlin "r" and the numbers 4564. [attachmentid=48304] Itdoesn't fit a Gew.88 or 93, as the groove is too short fir the one and the barrel band too low for the other. Any info, especially as to age, would be gratly appreciated.

The 1st bayo posted is indeed a private purchase "walking out" bayonet.It falls under the vague description of ks 98 and is considered a model 1940 dress carbine by Janzen.The press stud is just for show as is the lug slot.Originally the slot would have held a felt plug as it was never intended to be used as a bayonet.

The last 2 bayo's are model 1908 Brazilian mauser bayonets.German made models are usually marked and come with steel mounted leather scabbards.Brazilian made models are usaully marked like yours and come with the brass mounted scabbards.If you look closely at the sides of the pommel you may even be able to find a script "B" lightly stamped on it also.

Hope this helps.

Jim

The 1st bayo posted is indeed a private purchase "walking out" bayonet.It falls under the vague description of ks 98 and is considered a model 1940 dress carbine by Janzen.The press stud is just for show as is the lug slot.Originally the slot would have held a felt plug as it was never intended to be used as a bayonet.

The last 2 bayo's are model 1908 Brazilian mauser bayonets.German made models are usually marked and come with steel mounted leather scabbards.Brazilian made models are usaully marked like yours and come with the brass mounted scabbards.If you look closely at the sides of the pommel you may even be able to find a script "B" lightly stamped on it also.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

At first glance my thought was Argentine, but why the Greek letter on the guard and apparent S?tterlin on the stud?

Tom,I spoke with Carl(old smithy)and he wasn't sure either,so he suggested otto at ebayonet.com,otto says that these marks are common on South American made bayonets.He thinks that they are some form of factory control marking,but this is just his opinion.

I have owned several of these over the years and all seemed to have some different markings on them.Now I wish I would have kept picture records like I do now.Hindsight is 20/20 isn't it.

If I find out anything else I will be sure to let you know.

Jim