News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 German Sawback Bayonet

Cam_s

Hello,

I picked up this Sawback Bayonet a while back and was just wondering when and where it was made. I am more use to the WW2 German Bayonets which clearly gives the Date. The blueing on the Scabbard is not good at all and looks like it sat in a basement or a garage for 70 years. However the blade is almost mint.

The Manufacturer is Durkopp Werke A.G. and there is a B with a crown on it on the top of the blade.

So if someone could help me out that would be great.

Thanks,

Cam

Here are the Pictures:

IPB Image

IPB Image

A very nice 2nd model 98/05 sawback you have there.It is a 2nd model due to the low ears and flashguard which means it would have had to been manufactured from 1915-1918.The crown with a "B" is most likely an inspectors mark right above or below it should be a larger crown with 1or2 letters and the last two digits of the date below that.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Edited by Jim P

Hello,

Jim and Dan, Thanks for the nice comments again.

Jim P- Thanks for the information, this is what I was looking for. However, there is no number on top of the blade. There only is the B and crown marking. I am familiar more with WW2 German bayonets so I guess it would be like they are marked with the date. Yet there is is not date. So was not dating the bayonets a common practice? I can try to post another pic of the top if it would help.

Thanks again,

Cam

Hello,

Jim and Dan, Thanks for the nice comments again.

Jim P- Thanks for the information, this is what I was looking for. However, there is no number on top of the blade. There only is the B and crown marking. I am familiar more with WW2 German bayonets so I guess it would be like they are marked with the date. Yet there is is not date. So was not dating the bayonets a common practice? I can try to post another pic of the top if it would help.

Thanks again,

Cam

A picture might help,and I'll do some investigating and see what else I can find out.

Jim

I sent an E-mail to Carl at "old smithy",and he says that altough it is not common for the monarch stamp and date to be missing on these bayo's,it is not unheard of.He has seen several of them,especially during the 1915-1918 years.Mistakes like this happen during wartime production for all countries.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Edited by Jim P