News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Camp Gordon Johnson Florida detector finds

Hauptmann

Hi all,

Here's a few things I found back in 1995 with my detector. They're from Camp Gordon Johnson which was set up and used to train U.S. troops for amphibious landings.

[attachmentid=50854]

It was on May 21st 1995 that I detected part of the main Camp. There are still roads, the remains of concrete buildings and other structures, albeit overgrown in varying degrees. It was a chilly day and the wind was blowing. I was alone listening to my detectors signals in the headphones. As I started to find things I could almost see men in olive drab running, jumping... shooting at the range. The sounds of rifle and machine gun fire. Small squads of men taking breaks to eat and rest. I found one such spot where I found all of the buttons pictured. I also found the remains of their meal wrappers, cans, etc. where they'd been buried all those many years before. It was eerie and the closest thing I can think of to traveling in time.

[attachmentid=50852]

It's down not too far from Tallahassee, the Florida state capitol. A large part of the old Camp was long ago converted to homes, etc. and it's been very popular for retirees and is known as Lanark Retirement Village. Here's a shot of the converted officers quarters:

[attachmentid=50853]

The Camp was originally named Camp Carrabelle after the community it took over. Then it was renamed Camp Gordon Johnson after A Cavalry Colonel by the same name who was awarded the Medal of Honor in WWI. He was the son of Confederate General Robert Daniel Johnston.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/gjohnstn.htm

It was in use from 1941 to 1946 and covered 165,000 acres in North Florida and also encompassed St. George and Dog Islands which were uninhabited at the time. They were used as the sites for invasion training/beach landings.

We once stayed on St. George Island for a family reunion. I walked the dunes and beaches with my detector and found one of the bullet shells in my collection. At the main camp I found the rest of the artifacts including buttons with canvas material and thread still attached! Most of these items were on or just below the surface and as you can tell by the buttons in excellent condition even after all these years.

[attachmentid=50855]

Here's another view of the buttons showing the material and thread that is still attached:

[attachmentid=50856]

And here's a wheat cent found there on that same day:

[attachmentid=50857]

[attachmentid=50858]

I was a late comer to this site. Many detectorists had gone before me and made alot more impressive discoveries... training grenades, canteens, helmets, bayonets, etc. You name it they probably found it. But it amazes me to this day that one could still find cloth and thread intact after sitting out in the weather for all those years. And also that you could still find things on the islands from the invasion practice after Lord only knows how many major storms, hurricanes, tourists, etc. had been through the area.

If you're ever in North Florida near Tallahassee I urge you to try and visit this site. Also, over near Hosford which is near Quincy and Tallahassee is the site of a POW camp. Men of the Afrika Korps were held there and worked the local farms. There's nothing left from what I understand but once in a while a relic of those men pops up in the farm fields... a belt buckle or button, etc. Sadly I never was able to visit that site... I wish I had but perhaps I'll have another chance when we go back to visit with friends from time to time.

Here's some sites on the Camp:

http://www.campgordonjohnston.com/

http://www.kilroywashere.org/004-Pages/Gor...D-GJohnson.html

I hope you've enjoyed my little journey through time. :P:beer:

Dan :cheers: