News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all

I bought this from a dealer who sold as an original and it probably is but my concern is on the reverse of the medal there are "bumps". Could this be caused by a poor mould and was that a common feature on these medals? I know these are common but I also think every German medal has been faked! Any help on this would be very much appreciated

Rob

Hi all

I bought this from a dealer who sold as an original and it probably is but my concern is on the reverse of the medal there are "bumps". Could this be caused by a poor mould and was that a common feature on these medals? I know these are common but I also think every German medal has been faked! Any help on this would be very much appreciated

Rob

Hallo EuRob :beer:

I believe this to have been a manufacturing flaw, the medals were cast in Iron, and possibly late war pieces in kriegsmetal or zink, and I certainly dont agree with the statement "every German medal has been faked", (except iii reich items), while some of the higher Prussian State awards have been copied, the more lower grades have not been, and also its helpful to remember that some items were official jewlers copies, i.e private purchase, from the timeof the originals on and up to the end of WW2.

These cannot be compared to out and out fakes made and sold for big profits.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Dear EuRob:

The cross that you purchased is original and it has an original ribbon. So rest assured regarding that. The question of the "bumps" is an interesting one.

Let's explore further. These crosses were cast from Iron, bronze, and "Kriegsmetall" (which was basically a predominantly Zink alloy of whatever non-war essential scrap metal could be located at the time of manufacture). As Kev in Deva points out, the bumps are probably casting flaws. This is not a concern, as many of these highly produced items were not finely finished and quality control was sometimes lacking. Another explanation, is that the cross is made from "Kriegsmetall" that has started to oxidize under the finish, thereby causing "bumps" to form. Usually though, the oxidation can be seen as a white-coloured powder which breaks through the outer finish and appears on the surface in spots. Your cross however has a nice bronze colour to it. It does not appear to be iron either (but if a magnet is attracted to it, it certainly is).

So, in summary, I also believe that you have an original bronze cross with casting flaws.

I differ a bit with Kev in Deva however regarding counterfeit Imperial German Orders and medals. I have seen some very common items (worth insignificant amounts of money) "copied". Some of these were undoubtedly made after the issue period for veterans and are of lesser quality. I am still astounded from time to time however to find counterfeit "common" awards meant to deceived collectors. So although not ALL have been copied, MANY have been in my opinion.

Congratulations regarding your fine purchase!

Best regards,

"SPM"

Thanks again guys....... this site really is very good to a novice like myself. I did think it was original and its good to get a 2nd opinion and to know that the dealer is "kosha". A magnet doesnt work on this so maybe you got it spot on Schiess'. Anyway thanks for your input and time to both of you

Rob